Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Bow Poundage Question for white tails >

Bow Poundage Question for white tails

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bow Poundage Question for white tails

Old 10-23-2013, 05:05 AM
Spike

Default Bow Poundage Question for white tails

Hello there everyone. I'm new to this forum and new to compound bows. Always shot recurve. Yesterday I set myself up with a 70 pound Elite Hunter, a 2013 model...shoots great but today I have a sore draw shoulder. I had the bow dialed down to 62 pounds by my dealer and shot probably 48 shafts. I'm used to a 55 pound recurve and this new shoulder discomfort is new to me. I have the opportunity to exchange the bow today for a 60 pound hunter and have it dialed down to 50 pounds so I can work my way up to 60. My question is this, if I'm hunting with a bow set at 50 pounds will I have enough inertia for a well placed shot at say 40-50 yards to make a clean kill?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

yes. but I would try to get them into 30 yards.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:19 AM
Spike

That was my concern, I wonder if over time I'll build up the proper muscle groups to handle the 70 pound Hunter. Starting where I am at 62 and working my way up?????? My concerns were damaging my shoulder in the process.

The area I hunt generally offers longer shots VS closer shots, that's why I bought the heavier bow. Took this doe last week at 50 yards with my Barnett Predator, great for blinds but a bit heavy for a tree stand.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

First you got yourself a fantastic bow and yes you sure will....no problem at all.

What is your draw length?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Minimum draw weight to hunt deer in PA is 35 or 40 pounds. I guess they feel it's adequate. My son's bow is 38lbs and he killed a ram with it.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dougvarrieur
That was my concern, I wonder if over time I'll build up the proper muscle groups to handle the 70 pound Hunter. Starting where I am at 62 and working my way up?????? My concerns were damaging my shoulder in the process.

The area I hunt generally offers longer shots VS closer shots, that's why I bought the heavier bow. Took this doe last week at 50 yards with my Barnett Predator, great for blinds but a bit heavy for a tree stand.

That bow even at 50 lbs has less limitations than a person does. That bow will smoke a deer at 100 yards if you can put the arrow in the right spot. I try to keep it within 30 yard but that is because of my ability not the bows ability.

On a side note going from 70lbs to 50lbs you will likely need a different arrow spine.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

I've been shooting a Hoyt Trykon set at 65 for 6 years. I like the bow just fine, but when I buy a new one, I'm moving down to a 50-60 pound bow. It's not just about drawing. You can hold a lighter bow longer and steadier, especially if you are in an awkward position in a tree stand, and, in my opinion, you don't need more than that for a whitetail.
I do believe your shoulder will come around. If you continue to have problems, pick up a set of cheap dumbells at Walmart, find some varied exerecises on-line, and work out a little.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Spike

Thanks for the feedback guys, my draw is 28" solid at the back wall and anchored just right. At 56 years old I want to continue our sport for a long time and not trash the shoulder. I called my dealer this morning and he'll do what ever I want. I'm gonna head back over and shoot a 60 dialed down to 50 and see how it feels. I'll have plenty of practice time to increase the poundage prior to next October. I'll use the crossbow for my next hunt in November anyway.

I use Swhacker Broadheads and they do a fine job, the 100 grain instructs a minimum of 60 ft pounds of Kinetic energy to work properly.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Spike

I'm shooting 350 grain Gold Tip Hunter Carbons 7595. I can't seem to find the ft pounds at the Elite site but the fps at 28" on the 60 pound bow is about 303 with my shafts...I wonder how to figure ft pounds of kinetic energy...anyone know?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

You'll be much better off with the 60 dialed down rather than the 70 . My Mathews is dialed down from 60 to 54, was at 56 .I've got shoulder problems too and the 2 lbs makes a diff. Fortunately I also have a 10 pt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.