Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Allow me to introduce myself

Old 10-21-2013, 04:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Allow me to introduce myself

Hello to all,

I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce myself since I just joined this site. My name is Tom and my online name is Flags. I’m a Chief Petty Officer in the United States Navy and am getting ready to retire. In Apr 2014 I’ll have 25 years of active duty under my belt and I’m to the point where I need to turn the reins over to a younger generation.

I’m originally from Golden, Colorado but haven’t spent much time in the state since the Navy has insisted on keeping me elsewhere. I’m still officially a Colorado resident but seriously doubt I’ll retire there. Every time I return there I end up longing for the Colorado of my youth and it saddens me to see what the state has turned into with the massive influx of liberal transplants from other states. My wife and I are sort of leaning towards either Alabama or Tennessee but haven’t made firm decisions yet.

I'm sitting on 20 elk preference points, 13 deer preference points, 3+10 weighted moose points, 3+12 weighted sheep points, 13 bear points and 9 pronghorn points, all for Colorado. Want to guess where I'll be next fall after I retire? I've also got 5 preference points for pronghorn in WY and 8 preference points for moose in NH.

I am an avid hunter and fisherman and have been blessed to hunt many species in many states. So far I have held tags for Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Kansas, California, Hawaii, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire. I have also hunted British Columbia a couple of times and have made 5 safaris to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Cameroon. Places I’d like to hunt include Scotland, Mongolia, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina and Alaska.

I’ve successfully hunted Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Blacktail Deer, Black Bear, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat, Pronghorn, Bison, Wild Boar, Alligator and some exotics in Texas. I’ve taken about 20 species of plains game in Africa including Roan, Eland, Kudu, Gemsbok, Wildebeest, Impala, Warthog and Zebra. Of all the game I’ve hunted I have always had a real special place in my heart for elk which is understandable since I come from a family of elk fanatics in Colorado. If my count is correct, I have personally taken about 25 elk and have been in on the talking of around 100 others. I also go after rabbits, squirrels, upland game and waterfowl every chance I get and just started turkey hunting last spring.

I’m not much of a bow hunter because I have never been able to devote the time to get good enough with a bow to shoot at a living animal. The chance of wounding is just too high with my minimal skill level. But I have done a lot of hunting with black powder for Mule Deer, Elk and Whitetail. I use a variety of firearms with a 7mm Rem Mag being my go to gun. I also use a 6.5x55 Swedish, a 6.5x54 MS, a 9.3x62 Mauser, 375 H&H Mag and a T/C Contender in 7mm TCU. One thing I find as I get older is that I use the 7mm Mag less and less and the 9.3x62 more and more. If you haven’t played with a 9.3 I highly recommend it.

I look forward to exchanging ideas, opinions and experiences with all of you.

Cheers

Flags
Old 10-21-2013, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, welcome and thanks for your service.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

welcome!!!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome Chief and thats a long resume you got going their, do look forward to all the knowledge you have to share and pass around.

Any particular reason your leaning towards Al or TN, considering you seem to have a preference to hunt Elk. I think TN has a limited lottery for Elk but your initial post makes it sound like you would like to get your hands and feet in an Elk hunt a little more often.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for your years of service and welcome to the board!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Spike

Think you for your service. I look forward to the information you can bring to this forum.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for your service and welcome aboard. Looks like you're gonna be busy for a while after you retire.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
Any particular reason your leaning towards Al or TN, considering you seem to have a preference to hunt Elk. I think TN has a limited lottery for Elk but your initial post makes it sound like you would like to get your hands and feet in an Elk hunt a little more often.
There are a couple of reason we are leaning towards Al or TN.

Number 1: My wife was born in NH and she is pretty vocal about not living where it snows a lot. And, like all married men, keeping Mama happy is important for me to be happy. When Mama isn't happy, nobody is going to be happy. LOL

Number 2: There are a lot of jobs. I may be retiring from the Navy but I'll still need to work and the Southern economy is stronger than the economy of the west and the cost of living is cheaper. Dollar for dollar houses and land are a lot less than in the west.

Number 3: We like the area around Huntsville, AL and Lynchburg, TN and the entire scope of life in the south is more laid back as a rule. People still sit outside on the back porch and sip whiskey while they chat and watch the sun set.

Number 4: More generous bag limit on deer. I'm in VA right now and I can take over 6 per year. When I was in FL I could take 8 per year. In MS I can take 10 per year. In AL I can take more than 15 per year. CO lets me take 1.

I admit the chances to hunt elk are fewer but I can always travel to hunt them if I want to. If I really want an elk I can always get a cow tag for the late season and go pop one over by Craig, CO. My family has used that area as a meat market for decades. The elk will still be there I just would have to pay a non-resident fee. Besides after I cash in my 20 points next fall and use them to take a big bull out of unit 2, I don't know how many more elk I want to take. I've shot a bunch of them but I'm getting a little old to pack elk.

Last edited by flags; 10-21-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

First, as others have said... Thank you for your service!!!

Second... I have to ask? Is this the same Flags from NAHC? If so, considering the situation there these days, it's no wonder that you finally found yer way here!!!

Either way, I'm thinking that your going to enjoy your time at huntingnet.

I have spent most of my time here posting in the political forum, but have started getting around the site a bit more since the debacle at NAHC. So like you, I'm pretty much a newbie throughout most of this site.

So welcome, and I look forward to seeing your posts throughout the site.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 10-21-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Spike

Thanks for your service!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.