HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Is this a liver shot? Need help!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/386200-liver-shot-need-help.html)

AESOutdoors 10-20-2013 09:32 PM

Is this a liver shot? Need help!!

I shot my first doe tonight with my bow! The shot was a little back and now im wondering if this is a liver shot or not.. My arrow was covered in dark red blood and the blood trail was just spots about every 5 to 10 feet and then it stopped. I backed out and was thinking I hit her to far back and that she is going to live but now im thinking I hit her liver. What do you guys think?

Tundra10 10-20-2013 10:20 PM

A liver shot is as you stated far back. Where you trying to lung her?
All aside if you caught the liver she'll be dead by morning.

Good luck in your recovery.

AESOutdoors 10-20-2013 10:29 PM

Yes I was trying to lung her. She dropped further than I thought and just pushed the arrow back I guess. Just wondering what the best way to go about recovering her is?

itsslow98 10-20-2013 11:08 PM

Looks like liver and maybe some stomach to me. They can live a long time on a liver hit. I center punched a buck last year that was still alive 10hrs after I shot him. He was too weak to get up at that point but it took another shot to finish him.

Id give the deer 8hrs and walk slowly with your bow in case hes still alive.

Erno86 10-21-2013 01:29 PM

I would wait a least one hour for a liver hit before tracking. If it is a liver hit...the deer will want to bed down pretty soon.

Good luck in recovering your deer.

BIG TUNA 10-21-2013 02:03 PM

With the dark blood you cut the liver, but looks far back. I will mostly bleed back into guts making it hard to track. Do you have a buddy with a dog? Let us know how it works out.

AESOutdoors 10-21-2013 02:48 PM

Well I went and searched for her with two friends of mine this morning. We looked from 830am to 1 pm but never found her. We followed the blood as long as we could. It eventually stopped and we couldn't find any other sign of her. Hopefully this means she ran off and is doing alright but who knows. Wish I would have found her but sometimes thats just not how it happens. Can't say I didn't try to find her either!

Ridge Runner 10-21-2013 04:49 PM

she didn't go far, and she's dead, keep looking you'll find her, yep that's a liver hit
RR

CTJohnB 10-21-2013 04:51 PM

no she didnt live start where last sign of blood was bring a roll of toilet paper or white string and walk a straight line marking a branch every 20 ft or so for 60 -80 yards move over 20-30 ft pending how thick your area is and make way back to starting point, youre basically going to do a giant pie shape, continue to do this and eventually u should find her unless you jumped her and pushed her far away, pay attention to high spots water area's and bushes I had to do this with first deer I shot, it took a day and a half to find it but it worked, I shot it at 5pm looked till 11pm started at sun up and found it by 2, good luck and please try again with this tip

Wilcam47 10-21-2013 08:08 PM

it looks a little back...its prob a mortal wound but In the gut...sorry to say. the gut will block the hole and you wont see a good trail. You didn't hit a lung or it would be bright red and possibly foamy looking. Sorry to hear you lost it...but it happens..