Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New Hunter here, could use some thoughts on my hunting property >

New Hunter here, could use some thoughts on my hunting property

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter here, could use some thoughts on my hunting property

Old 10-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Spike

Default New Hunter here, could use some thoughts on my hunting property

I wanted to say that I'm new to deer hunting and was looking for a little help on this new property I have received permission to hunt on. It was an old horse farm, roughly about 50 acres and it is completely overgrown now and completely unused. I have just recently been out there and could see movement just from walking on the property. Since I'm new to all this I didn't know where was the best spot to put a ground blind up at or potentially a tree stand. If someone could help me out with their opinions that would be awesome!
Attachment 26884

Last edited by KZ1988; 11-19-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Read and learn and know what to look for. Signs (rubs, scrapes, trails & tracks, bedding areas, etc).

Then when you know what you're looking for get in there and scout it and look for signs. Find a spot that looks good to you and there are signs of deer traveling through and put you a stand near it. Maybe a corn pile if it's legal there.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a cool place. Definately huntable. With my picture the red is where I would start with my stands. The yellow is possible bedding areas. Green is where I would put a food plot. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails New Hunter here, could use some thoughts on my hunting property-image.jpg  

Last edited by deernutz; 10-18-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the woods have a good number of acorn bearing oaks ... especially that tree line where "deernutz" suggested you locate a stand ... might be able to catch a few feeding along. If the land owner will let you put in a food plot, one along about where "deernutz" suggested looks like a great spot.

Meantime look for both new and old rub lines, dropping acorns and figure out a good way in-out in order to not blow out the deer hanging around. If the deer are in there, they will feed on the acorns and there should be a good deal of droppings where the fresh acorns are.

50 acres is not a bunch, so blowing any bedding or feeding deer out of there would be relatively easy to do. Down this way the best hunting is usually during N to NW wind direction ... so if you could find a way in from the SE corner of the property I think that would work out pretty good.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

yes I would scout that property a good amount before picking a spot but def. look for rubs or the most worndown trails. Some will be heavier than others. If any trails lead to the edge of that big field your prob golden. Theres not many woodsy areas in that picture so that bottom left thick woods you can bet they are in there or even bedded down in all that low overgrown stuff all around there. put the blind in that hedge row in the middle or on the edge of the big field with good shooting lanes all around especially into the woods. also I like the spot on left side about 4" up and 3" over on the tip of that field. what is all that low stuff that's not field or woods? is it just overgrown grass all around with some random trees here and there?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Spike

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions! I really appreciate it! Like I said I'm just getting into deer hunting and figured this place would be ideal to start with. Yeah those are small pine trees spread throughout the property in the grass on both sides. The grass throughout the property is very dense and roughly 2 1/2 to 3 feet. I wish I was able to do more such as cutting lanes and the grass. But just don't have the equipment to do so. If there is anything else you would recommend or do please add. Thanks for the support! Oh and by the way it's in central missouri
Old 10-18-2013, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some advice for a new hunter. First I want to say congrats and welcome to the brotherhood. With being new to the family your better off doing less then more. What I mean is don't do what I did and over scout. You'll end up with 50 acres that doesn't hold a deer because you pushed them off it. Start slow. Set up a stand in a spot where you can observe the deer movements. Note it in a little pocket book. Then once you feel you have the bedding areas pegged. Then you can start looking in areas you know your not gonna push the deer around. The more time you take to learn your land without pushing deer around the better success your going to have. good luck!

Last edited by deernutz; 10-18-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

Mojo brought up wind, and it worth paying attention to. The prevailing winds by you are probabaly south-west to west. Keep that in mind when you are picking stand spots relative to where you expect to see deer. And, have some spots in mind for days when the winds are different. Couple years ago, it seemed like every time I was in the woods the winds were east or south.