Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

noobie crossbow advice?

Old 10-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Spike

Question noobie crossbow advice?

Hi All,
I am new to the hunting realm. My 12year old son has been hounding me for awhile and we bought a crossbow. I would like to get us bows and some rifles down the road But as of now we are trying to get started on a shoe string budget. I live in Northeast GA and plan to hunt some of the WMA'a around here. I have already spent a ton and have nothing. As an angler for 10 years I already know how THAT story goes.
So a couple of starter ?'s

Ground blind or tree stand?

What to buy next?
We have : crossbow; target, dozen 20" arrows, 3 broad heads, camouflage clothes, scent block spray, hunter shampo/soap/deodorant

Thanks In Advance for any replys
Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Spike

ya, don't use crossbows. but in all reality I would take a tree stand over ground blind anytime. You see so much further. You can see deer moving in places that you wouldnt in a ground blind.

But if your hunting together then a ground blind is easier.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Spike

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of getting a cheap tent style pop up blind and working our way up^^^ by investing tree stands later. Right now was just wanting to get out there and Hunt. We have been target practicing and reading a lot on forums such as this one.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

I prefer tree stands, but mostly its personal preferance. I can see how hunting together with your son, a blind might be preferable.

As far as what to buy next, the only thing I don't see on the list that I'd consider necessary is a good knife (and learn how to use it (check Youtube for fielddressing videos)). And a rope to drag a doe with or maybe some kind of cart (nice, not necessary).
Old 10-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed a many a deer sitting behind a simple "brush blind". However a bushed-in pop up is a better hide. You can probably get a decent one big enough for the two of you for under $100, but don't expect it hold its color year after year, be rain resistant or last long. It is under $100 for a reason.

If you are talking a ladder type tree stand, these are relatively east to set jup, but not easy to relocate. A 15 footer will weight nearly 40#, require 20-30 minutes to put up and you'll make a lot of noise doing so. If you are looking for a two man, add another 30 pounds or so to the weight. I would not suggest a "climber" for a youngster. While the better ones are very safe and rugged, I just would not trust a 12 year old to manage using one correctly.

If you decide to rifle hunt, get ready to drop about $1000 (minimum) for the two of you.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:02 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice. I do believe we will be getting a good knife. And pop up blind next.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me i wouldnt worry about a blind or tree stand, natural vegetation or tree would work fine but you will have to be more careful about movement and noise. If you think it will be an issue a blind would be good.

I would also recommend some Permanone or other similiar repellent/ tick killer. Ticks are still out here in NC had some on my clothes yesterday and this will help will the minor nuances you may come across.

Never dry fire, sure you already know that but I must reiterate that especially with a kid with you in close proximity.

Heres some extras that are dependent on the person.

Good at navigating? If not - map/ compass (cheap) or GPS (more expensive), or if good cell service all the time in the area smart phone (Already paid for).

Rain Protection if blind wont hold it out - Kids dont tend to last long out their if they are not comfy. Same as fishing.

Backpack (Scentfree) - Dont need the fancy camo pack if in a blind just need something scent free to carry some of the gear possibly some water and snacks. i prefer to keep snacks natural like fruits, nuts and stuff not egg mcmuffins and stuff.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:38 AM
Spike

Being on a budget and with 2 people i would get a blind to start with like others of stated. I have a blind similair to this here :http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104365080 I set it up with my back against a tree and try to conceal the blind behind some foilage if possible. Has worked for me numerous times. Tree stand are always nice to have and can give you a better view of your area but they do get costly. If you plan to buy and hunt with compound bows later down the road I would start saving for one for you and one for your son now. This way when you hunt you can use the crossbow and at home or the range you can begin to practice with a bow until you feel you are both ready to take them out hunting.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

This may be obvious, but now is not the time to buy a lot of stuff. Get what you need to get by this year, wait til February, and start looking for sales. If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods near you, they tend to clearance their stuff every year after season (some companies sit on it til next year (Gander, in my experience)). I was looking at Dick's yesterday, and there was a Big Dog 2 man for $99. It had a small platform, more like a foot rest, so you'd probably end up shooting from a sitting position (something I prefer not to do with a compound bow), but with a crossbow, that should work fine--also had a shooting rail.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Spike

Nothing much to spend and Christmas is around the corner. I have four boys 3,5,12,&16. Figured if we practiced: then just got out there and tried we might get lucky..We intend to build on toys, tools, and skills to"be ready" for next season. And also look into other game like turkeys and hogs.
Thanks again for all the replies. My father doesn't really hunt or fish. I've learned everything(basically nothing) about fishing the hard way. I already see it was a good idea to register and post for help. I intend to report back here with results of our Whitetail trips.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.