Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent control for cheap.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunt high, 25-30 feet and you can get away with a lot. The right wind is the real ticket though.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Plain old baking soda works great, get mine at Sam's club for three bucks or so for a five pound container. Don't go to breakfast in your hunting clothes.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Use Baking Soda and save a ton of wasted money!
Old 10-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

How do you guys use the baking soda?
Old 10-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wash my hunting clothes in it, sprinkle it in my dried clothes and use it as a body powder.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can find unscented products without a deer on it for a fraction of the cost.

Look for Arm and Hammer unscented laundry detergent. Its a ton cheaper.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted over 50 years, killed over 300 whitetails...I have never bought any scent control clothing or washed my clothes in something special...I do buy non scent baking soda deodorant and use scent free soap during the season...On top of this, I use to smoke, on stand and have killed deer with a cigarette in my fingers...I also spend a week every year camping out with no indoor shower, sometimes wearing the same clothes a couple of days in a row...

The secret to deer not smelling you is as simple as making sure you are down wind of them...
Old 10-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Scent Control Formula

2 Bottles of hydrogen peroxide 16oz
32 oz of distilled water
¼ cup baking soda
1 oz sportsman's wash laundry detergent or any unscented detergent.
(option) You can use ½ oz hunter soap earth scent. If you use the earth scent soap, cut the laundry detergent to 1/2 oz.

First poor hydrogen peroxide in bottle or some large open container. Then add the distilled water. Then you add the baking soda and the unscented soap. STIR DO NOT SHAKE!
Use a wood spoon and stir the ingredients together. Add very small amounts of baking soda at a time stirring until it is completely dissolved. Let this ferment for three days stirring one or twice a day. Do not seal tight in the first 3 days because it may build up pressure. After the three days, store the scent killer in dark containers like the peroxide containers and in my spray bottles. Light breaks down hydrogen peroxide.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many have mentioned the wind... How much cheaper can it get, it's free?

That said, it also pays to understand thermal (air currents rising)and inverse (air currents being pushed down to the earth) conditions. A smoker can detect either of these conditions by simply watching their cigarette smoke. If you hunt in a camp with a wood stove, or have one at home, you no doubt have seen both of these conditions revealed by the chimney smoke. Also a simple campfire will reveal these conditions.

Just some food for thought.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
How do you guys use the baking soda?
I use a giant plastic storage container, soak clothes with baking soda and water. Rinse really well and air dry on the fence. My neighbors laugh cause they know bow season is coming soon when the fence goes camo!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.