Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Chances of seeing him again?

Old 10-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Well this is just my opinion and kind of against the grain but if its rut the time to stay out is over. No way I would let one 9 point keep me out of a good spot during the rut.
For me the rut is why I hunt cautious the rest of the time. Come rut I'm all in.

The last thing you want to do is abandon a hot spot during the rut over one buck that might well already be long gone.

Of course our situations could be very different. If its rut where I hunt the gun hunt is right around the corner and the woods are about to be invaded by the pumpkin army.
there is no way im abandoning this spot lol. to many good signs. the does are there and so are the bucks, has a good buck to doe ratio. lots of scrapes and i saw a rub on a big tree, that rub goes from about 2 feet of the ground to 4 feet and the tree is raw. i've seen 130" bucks here in the past, hopefully i'll run into one again. bow hunting season ( for bucks/does) here goes from the 5th of oct. to the 16 of nov. so the rut is in full swing usually for the last two weeks, and the gun hunters cant storm the woods still the 2nd of dec.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

where is this rut activity you speak of?
Old 10-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

i am 25 feet up right now in a climber. i was at 20 feet this morning and had doe walk under me.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PAThwacker
i am 25 feet up right now in a climber. i was at 20 feet this morning and had doe walk under me.
im in southwest pa. saw 3 doe this morning and saw a 6 point about 100 yards away and rattled him into 30, he came flyin in! as soon as he saw nothin was going on he just walked back into the pines.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Spike

I agree with itsslow98. I would move my stand back up the ridge to get higher up, out of line of sight.