Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hanging stand in treeline

Old 09-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hanging stand in treeline

Do many of you hang your stands in treelines between fields or do you look to the staging areas just inside the woods where deer stop before entering the fields?

The reason I ask is b/c I hung a stand yesterday that is on a treeline overlooking a small creek and the deer often bed in a nearby tangle of brush on a neighboring property, then travel across the fields in search of food.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hanging stand in treeline

Alot of times the deer will use the tree line as a highway between one field and another. If this is the case there should be a well traveled trail running the length of it and a stand there should be productive. You can cover the edges of the field from there also.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Funny you should mention that coolbrz, I am hanging a stand in a very interesting funnel, a large area of woods chokes down to the intersection of three field corners, out of these three corners the deer either go back into another section of woods or down a tree line. I have VERY good feelings about this spot, I am going out there today or tomorrow to work on it. You should try and hang the stand either right where the treeline intersects the woods or even inside of there. Of course the trails will dictate which spot is best.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is important to know if the deer are feeding in the field after dark. If you have found a staging area just off the field, this would indicate that the deer are using the field after dark. If so, it may be to difficult to get to your stand in the tree line without spooking the deer that are in the field, in this case I wouldn' t suggest putting a stand in the tree line in the field. On the other hand if you don' t feel the deer are using the field overnight, and they are using the treeline as cover to cross the field (funnel area) it might be a prime place to set up your stand. You should be able to tell if they are staging or just traveling through the treeline.
In this case, I would set up in the staging area.