Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Completely NEW!

Old 10-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need a reliable weapon that you are experienced with. You need clothing that keeps you warm and dry. You need a good knife and a flashlight. Treestands, ground blinds, or a simple chair are good to have. Other gear can be helpful but not necessarily needed to harvest deer, what works and what is marketed well is debatable. Keep it simple and be confident. Read some hunting literature.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:30 AM
Spike

As far as "where" to hunt, I highly recommend picking up a copy of "Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Brad Herndon. It talks about using maps and online tools (google earth) to narrow your hunting areas down to more productive areas. Great book!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
In Michigan you can also use straight wall pistol rounds in a pistol to hunt the shot gun zones too. No contenders with rifle rounds like 30-30 allowed.

Learn the white tail deer thru your local libaray or do a goggle search on the net and learn about them Once you learn the critter learn the hunting area the rest is easy.

How to hunt the area can be learned at the local sportsman club listing to old timers talk of their hunts and how they did it.

Keeping it simple is correct. wash and hang hunting clothing well away from the homes scents. I have a 10x10 shed in the back yard just for dressing in hunting clothing and the boots.
I carry a small knife for field dressing.
a camera to take pictures of critters I am not hunting.
A 10"x10" about freezer bag to put the heart in and also as a means to keep the wet wipes, paper towel sheets and bit of TP in. I carry a couple sandwiches in it also. I carry a 2 quart thermos of tea I sip on thru the day. A drag rope is duck taped to the thermos as a carry strap till I need the drag rope 1/4 inch size.
If I am still hunting I carry a set of pruning shears and a folding pruning saw and a coil of small twine in case I want to throw up a tempory blind in a likely place.

Al

A++++

I set up a temp. natural blind last night as a matter of fact.
Only problem was it was partly burr bushes with long dried grass.
Had burrs all over me.....lol.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

#1 thing you are going to need is land to hunt on,
Old 11-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter
Kind of weird you cannot use your rifles in Mass? You got a criminal record or something? My step dad lived in mass before he moved here, and he could use rifles there in Mass!
Illinois is the same way, shotgun, muzzleloader, or pistol only (plus archery, of course).
Old 11-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

Range time, and a good scope. No cheap optics.