HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   KENTUCKY Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/385819-kentucky-deer-hunting.html)

statechaser 10-08-2013 06:44 AM

KENTUCKY Deer Hunting

I am in the process of planning a do it yourself hunt in Kentucky for 2014. I have been doing a lot of research and finding some good information about public land but I wanted to put something on here to help narrow down my search costs and scouting trips because I am on a tight budget do to purchasing a house. So my question basically is what are some ‘Hot Spot” public land areas or areas known for a fair population of deer and mature bucks? I realize were dealing with public land and I don’t mind hiking in our accessing by boat to get away from the pressure. I am just looking for any suggestions for a starting point! Any help would be great!! Thanks and have a great season this year, shoot straight!!

kelton smith 10-08-2013 06:53 AM

what park of the state are you wanting to hunt, rifle or bow

statechaser 10-08-2013 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by kelton smith (Post 4087461)

It doesn’t really matter what part of the state. I live in Pennsylvania so the closer to Pa the better but if there is a considerable difference in the hunting on the western part of Kentucky I don’t mind traveling at all. Ultimately I am looking to put myself in the best place to be to harvest a mature buck on public land in KY. Distance is my last concern because once I’m there I will be there for 7 days. Scouting trips would be nice if it was closer but not priority.

statechaser 10-08-2013 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by kelton smith (Post 4087461)

Most likely bow hunting. The only way I would return for gun is if I had vacation left and a tag for Kentucky still in my pocket.

razor6570 10-08-2013 08:34 AM

I have been talking to my buddy about a DIY trip to Kentucky. We would be going in archery season also. Pm me, we can share some ideas

kelton smith 10-08-2013 10:30 AM

McCraken ballard and graves county have some rly good wma's for bow hunting
west ky wildlife area ballard county refuge and clarksriver wma all within 25 miles of paducah ky

statechaser 10-08-2013 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by kelton smith (Post 4087568)
McCraken ballard and graves county have some rly good wma's for bow hunting
west ky wildlife area ballard county refuge and clarksriver wma all within 25 miles of paducah ky

Thanks a lot for the info!

bghunter777 10-09-2013 10:57 AM

I do alot of public land DOI turkey hunting in kentucky plenty of deer there as well.