Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Third hunt hunting alone

Old 10-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Third hunt hunting alone

Hi all,

I am on my third hunt and I am getting discouraged!, and I am hunting on my own. I didn't see a damn thing today, However I shot at a rabbit since it's still small game season for us here in Mi. I nailed him, but he got away, I've tracked him for a good 20 minutes and I couldn't find him at all.

By the way When I shot my arrow tonight from my Xbow, I've notice it turned grey the field tip did. What causes this?

Here's some photo's for an uneventful hunt.

Hunting local!

Yup my blind has a floor, Redneck style though, it keeps the leaves from crunching.

The rabbit that got away lucky him, I knew I hit him when he jumped high in the air vertically!

It was a pretty descent night considering.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Try sitting still in the stand and not shooting at rabbits. Sit until its too dark to shoot and ease your way out unnoticed. You can forget that stand for a few days if you spent the afternoon hunting rabbits.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Patrick Eubanks
Try sitting still in the stand and not shooting at rabbits. Sit until its too dark to shoot and ease your way out unnoticed. You can forget that stand for a few days if you spent the afternoon hunting rabbits.
Thanks man, I was down there 3 hours hunting deer, And I needed to discharge my Xbow, I've figured what the best way to try for the rabbit. So I did and yes it's still rabbit season here, lol! So needless to say I didn't get it.

By the way why did my field tip turn gray?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Spike

You should get out about a month prior to deer (archery or rifle) season and do some research. Look for rubs, deer trails, droppings, see a game trail, sit down for a hour or so see if anything happens. If in a mountainous area, remember Whitetail tend to run ridges in early/mid morning, and valleys in the afternoon/evening. When hunting flat land, they bed midday if you come across a bedding, don't disturb it. Simply memorize where its at and set your Blind or tree stand between their bed and food. Might have better luck. Remember, if you find no signs of deer.... odds are you'll see no deer.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

my first hunts were about the same. I then realized what am I missing and why? so I started looking for sign, wouldn't ya know just a deer went through there doesnt mean its a regular event. Look for a spot that deer frequent with multiple tracks. Next sit still, don't move your head like a bobblehead doll, I rarely move my head a all for hours and if I do I have moved my eyes lock to lock first. Next, unless it's a predator ( yote etc) there be no shooting from my deer stands except for deer. The biggest nasty S.O.B just very well could have been watching you shoot bug bunny. Next once you know deer frequent the area, don't go galavanting around like it's an amusement park, go in to hunt and get out as quiet as possible.

Don't get discouraged...get educated..
Old 10-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guy, By the way my location is a prime deer trail with lot's of tracks, and poo by the salt block. The very first hunt my buddy and my self had 3 does and one young buck, He had spikes so I couldn't shoot him, Wish I could have!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Bottom line, 3 days without seeing anything, especially in the early season, is just a part of hunting. I don't see deer at least half the time I go out (I do hunt pressured public land, so if you have access to private, your odds may be higher). Just learn to enjoy being out there, the deer will come in time.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

Is baiting legal there? Get you a corn pile out there and you'll see some deer.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use a trail camera to find the right times to be hunting, creep in and out of your location, sit still, and stay as long as you can.

Just as important, always being positive and hungry for success is a big part of hunting. Never get discouraged, it will ruin a hunt before it even started.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I've been hunting alone since my partner died in 2005. I don't mind it at all as we spent the day apart any way only to see each other in the evenings. I see deer all the time but I don't allow any person to go clomping about chaseing any thing.
I see deer just about every day from my living room window.

Just a couple days ago.

About a month ago mom was feeding fawns yet.

Stop useing the same blind every day. stop going to and from on the same path/trail and if your deer hunting stop messing with other critters.

Ya you can use bait. After a while you will become a masterbaiter and still not a hunter.

If your hunting in Michigan that salt block isn't supposed to be near your blind either, so don't get caught.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 10-08-2013 at 04:19 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.