Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got to pass on a six point!!!

Old 10-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got to pass on a six point!!!

Wow,
I hit a new level of deer hunting friday night. I passed on a six point on the Eastern Shore of Md. The deer actually passed so close I could have dropped my crossbow on him.
To be truthful the guy whos land we hunt on has an eight point, wider than the ears policy. It was really cool to , after identifying him, I could just sit and enjoy the experience. Also I really did not want to dress a deer in 88 degree weather. OK if it was bigger!!!
I just think maybe next year?/
daddus
Old 10-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bet it hurt at first.LOL
Old 10-07-2013, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

it's a new level of control. Come back when you havnt shot a buck in 5yrs and you let a 130'' 8 walk by @ 40yds.

now doe's that's a different story...I see target practice.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

I had to pass on 3 does well at least one I was aiming for, She was not standing broadside so it was a bad shot, She was at least 25 yards in front of me and standing directly ahead of me. So no good shots, Least I felt the buck fever though!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I pass on deer its still neat to watch them forage or spook them when you know they don't have a clue you are there...way different than seeing them off the road in a vehicle...IMO...
Old 10-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

I watched a little five point for two hours yesterday morning. He fed around my stand, then bedded down about 45 yards from me, was an enjoyable experience. I started passing smaller bucks two years ago, and yes it is a good feeling. It'll pay off eventually too. Later in the year my standards do go down though!
-Jake
Old 10-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Spike

Welcome to becoming a sportsmen! It takes a lot of self control to do but eventually it will pay off for you! I passed on two small 8's this past weekend and 2 does all in the same morning. It was hard to do but you get to watch the animals and enjoy being amongst the deer and just wait for the one that suits your fancy!