Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Couple of Questions.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Couple of Questions.

Hello everyone, I got a few questions for the seasoned hunters here.

First question.

One of the stores here where I get my permits from, Said I should hang my deer for 3 day's before I bring it in.

My hunting mentor mentioned in some cases you cannot because of the weather and what time of year you shot the deer on.

If you shot it at the end of summer, It might be too warm to hang for 3 days and it could spoil or rot? He said.

Second question.
How often do you check your bait pile?

I do mine every time I go to the blind and hunt, which is only been twice so far.

Last edited by The Green Horn Hunter; 10-06-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question 1: The ideal temp to allow venison to age is between freezing and about 40 deg. Anything above or below that and you're not doing yourself any favors. Personally, I process mine as soon as possible, (same day or the next,) especially if the weather is warm.

Question 2: I don't bait, but my friends that do bring some in every time they hunt it. If they're not hunting it, they stay out.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

3 days is not entirely wrong...just depends on temps..if you are going to take it somewhere to get processed they usually keep it below 40 and above freezing...if you are above 40 degrees in both day and night...I wouldn't recommend hanging it outside for 3 days...butchers will typically wait 3 days minimum depending on how much they have to catch up on...some wait longer.

#2 if they are eating all of it...then you should put more out...to keep them coming back in..
Old 10-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you guys, I was just curious.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only place you should hang any meat to age it is in a meat cooler that has the temp and humidity precisely controlled.

That just aren't days where the temp and humidity are perfect for aging meat nor will they stay constant.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Florida we quarter it and get it into a cooler as fast as we can,I let mine sit on ice for a few days.As for checking bait,a trail cam I check once a week.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

We hang ours for up to a week if its cooler than 45 degrees. If you don't hang it, you'll find that meat may be tough as the natural enzymes won't have time to breakdown the connective tissue.