Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Strangest thing you've found in the woods? >

Strangest thing you've found in the woods?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Strangest thing you've found in the woods?

Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

Graveyard from the early 1800 and an old meth lab site there were tubes drain cleaner bottles Coleman gas foil buckets it was a little unnerving !
Old 10-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

I hunted new Hampshire once and while sitting in a huge clear cut a couple of school kids came down the logging road climbed on top of a huge boulder and started making out. They were couple hundred yrds away and well off a main road. they just made out for a while and left.

Last year while hunting my son was in his stand and a pet white duck came walking by. the closest house is at least 1/2 mile away.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Spike

Back in March of 2010 while shed hunting, couple of guys and myself found a dbl barrel shotgun, one round spent. Looked down and found cloths folded, watch, wedding ring, gun case. Turns out we found what was left of a missing person. I always expect to find bone when shed hunting, but not this kind. Below is link.

http://projectjason.org/forums/topic...n-il-10072009/
Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by thatredneckrockerdude1
KKK graveyard...
Could you elaborate on your find?

Last edited by early in; 10-07-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by early in
Could you elaborate on your find?
I wasn't but about 9 or 10 at the time. Me and my dad had just acquired a big chunk of land that hadn't been hunted in several years. We were walking along a creek bank and dad happened to see something that caught his eye. We climbed to the top of the hill and it was several tombstones. Some of them had writing, some of them didn't. Most were dated between 1865-1900. We mentioned it to the landowner (who didn't hunt) what we had found. He told us that when he bought the land he was told that it was an old KKK graveyard. Out of curiosity we called a historian in on it, and sure enough it was.

I killed one of my biggest bucks to date with the graveyard about 40yds behind me.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunt7109
Back in March of 2010 while shed hunting, couple of guys and myself found a dbl barrel shotgun, one round spent. Looked down and found cloths folded, watch, wedding ring, gun case. Turns out we found what was left of a missing person. I always expect to find bone when shed hunting, but not this kind. Below is link.

Did they give you any lip about hunting for antlers on Forest Preserve land? Ive looked for them in Southern Lake/Northern Cook County and they yelled at me one time. I think they were more after mushroom hunters but still told me it wasn't allowed.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by hunt7109

That right there is creepy!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

My own arrow from a kill four or five years prior...
Old 10-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Found a Honda accord with a dead chick inside with needle hanging out of her arm...pretty much ruin my hunt that day!!! I also found an old moonshine camp way back in the woods.

Last edited by Iron Archer; 10-09-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a potentially cool and long-running thread! I've seen a few of these on other boards, too and they can go on for a long while.

My finds (at least ones I remember at the moment):

1.) A burial trench on the Gettysburg battlefield-- in the woods of Culp's Hill where a lot of Confederates were buried in mass graves. Probably soldiers from a Maryland regiment as that monument was not too far away.

2.) I once went on a spiritual retreat at a monastery and took a hike in the woods with a group of monks. We found a weather balloon which we mailed back to the weather scientists. I actually joined that monastery a few years later (yes, I am a monk and priest--love to hunt!).

It just occurred to me that a group of monks running around a forest with a weather balloon might in itself qualify as one of those "strange things found in the woods." LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.