HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   HELP! A few questions for a class I am taking for you whitetail fanatics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/385604-help-few-questions-class-i-am-taking-you-whitetail-fanatics.html)

mtbehm 10-02-2013 12:23 PM

HELP! A few questions for a class I am taking for you whitetail fanatics

I have to do a survey for a class for the pricing of a whitetail deer mount. All answers are greatly appreciated as well as your time!

1. If you have had a deer mounted how much have you paid?
2. How much would you be willing to pay for a deer mount?
3. what factors would affect how much you would be willing to pay?
4. How big of a deer would you have to shoot to have it mounted?
5. Would higher quality make you be willing to pay more?
6. How important is turn around time when comparing prices?
7. what do you consider most important when comparing prices?
8. Would additional features such as habitat make you be willing to pay more?
9. If you saw previous work that had been done by the taxidermist would that affect how much you would pay for that work?
10. Would you pay more if the work was guaranteed and repairs were made free of charge over the life of the mount?

Thanks again, Matt

NjHunter85 10-02-2013 07:44 PM

1- $565
2- id be willing to pay more for a world renowed taxidermist or for some special mount. $565 was the basic shoulder mount.
3-factors would be the past work from the taxidermist, the style of mount, and most importantly the time period.
4-i've seen guys mount everything(does, spikes, 8 pointers, 12 pointers). Your first buck no matter what size I would mount for fun and after that id say anything from a small 8 point and above
5-Yes
6-Most important. nothing is worse than shooting a nice rack and waiting forever to put it on the wall
7-quality/time
8-really just the style of mount(id pay more for a full shoulder mount turned sideways, id pay more for a full body mount and I would def. pay more for a mount that had habitat like you said around it. Like a fox on a log with grass behind it or pheasant with grass around it or something.
9-depends on how good or bad the work is. Sometimes its not necessarily bad work just their style of work might be different than what I was looking for. But yes I would say it would affect it but only very small.
10-I feel that should be included in the price of a mount considering its not cheap to begin with. Most taxidermists should stand behind their work just like any other random product on the market.

cool questions man something different for a change. ha good luck

kateraxl2381 10-03-2013 04:06 AM

1. $350 for my last two.
2. I would be willing to take a deer to a world renowned taxidermist if it was a giant.
3. My biggest thing is how long it holds up and overall appearance.
4. If it beats my biggest buck, or I just have some extra cash laying around at the time. Minimum 130"
5. Yes
6. If I were paying $500+ I would expect it back within 6 months.
7. Cheaper is not always better.
8. There is a guy around here that puts dew on their whiskers, and any type of habitat around the mount makes it look better overall IMO.
9. Absolutely.
10. Possibly, I would have to look into some of the mounts and how they had been holding up over time. That would be a good deal, but I wouldn't want to have to take the mount back every year or so to make changes.

Wilcam47 10-03-2013 08:15 AM

1. If you have had a deer mounted how much have you paid? 450
2. How much would you be willing to pay for a deer mount? 500
3. what factors would affect how much you would be willing to pay? How much money I have at the time...:happy0157:
4. How big of a deer would you have to shoot to have it mounted? doesn't matter to me...everyone is a trophy worthy of mounting..
5. Would higher quality make you be willing to pay more? possibly
6. How important is turn around time when comparing prices? Its important if I have to pay up front or when the mount is done..
7. what do you consider most important when comparing prices? quality of the product
8. Would additional features such as habitat make you be willing to pay more?nope
9. If you saw previous work that had been done by the taxidermist would that affect how much you would pay for that work? yes
10. Would you pay more if the work was guaranteed and repairs were made free of charge over the life of the mount?depends...the person I had do my mounts is across the country...it would be pointless to have that if you moved...if it were closer then yes..

kelton smith 10-03-2013 08:38 AM

300 for my last 3
350 would prolly be the most i would pay
has to be bigger than what i already have on the wall
mine are alway done within 6 months
and seen his work that had been done many years ago and it holds up rly good

DPHMIN 10-03-2013 03:46 PM

1. About $400.00 for the most expensive one.
2. No more than $400.00.
3. The reputation of the taxidermist.
4. Larger than 130"
5. Yes.
6. Not very important.
7. Quality of work of Taxidermist.
8. Yes.
9. Yes.
10. No. I'd expect it to be correctly the first time, with no need of repairs later.

Night Crawler 10-03-2013 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by mtbehm (Post 4085614)
I have to do a survey for a class for the pricing of a whitetail deer mount. All answers are greatly appreciated as well as your time!

1. If you have had a deer mounted how much have you paid?350 last 2
2. How much would you be willing to pay for a deer mount?Alot, I really want two monster's fighting
3. what factors would affect how much you would be willing to pay?the uniqueness
4. How big of a deer would you have to shoot to have it mounted?1st was 120, 4 on wall I need 150 or better or I am just doe hunting
5. Would higher quality make you be willing to pay more?I am a best value shopper
6. How important is turn around time when comparing prices?6-9 mo is average, art takes time
7. what do you consider most important when comparing prices?I don't shop
8. Would additional features such as habitat make you be willing to pay more?sure addl art work cost's
9. If you saw previous work that had been done by the taxidermist would that affect how much you would pay for that work?I would never get something done without seeing previous work so this is a moot point
10. Would you pay more if the work was guaranteed and repairs were made free of charge over the life of the mount?how much are we talking though?

Thanks again, Matt

how did I score?

huntinyoung 10-05-2013 02:04 PM

1. $300-350
2. $400
3. Quality and turn-around time. Most quality for the lowest price.
4. 140-class or better
5. Yes, to a point.
6. Like to get them back within a year.
7. Best quality for the lowest price
8. I wouldn't pay extra for extra features
9.Yes. I always look at the taxidermist quality of work before getting him to do it.
10. Definitely

thatredneckrockerdude1 10-07-2013 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by mtbehm (Post 4085614)

1. If you have had a deer mounted how much have you paid?
2. How much would you be willing to pay for a deer mount?
3. what factors would affect how much you would be willing to pay?
4. How big of a deer would you have to shoot to have it mounted?
5. Would higher quality make you be willing to pay more?
6. How important is turn around time when comparing prices?
7. what do you consider most important when comparing prices?
8. Would additional features such as habitat make you be willing to pay more?
9. If you saw previous work that had been done by the taxidermist would that affect how much you would pay for that work?
10. Would you pay more if the work was guaranteed and repairs were made free of charge over the life of the mount?

Thanks again, Matt

1. $225-$350
2. $400
3. Quality of the taxidermist's previous mounts
4. Not so much about the size of the deer for me as it is the story of the hunt, etc. We don't have monster bucks around every tree where I hunt so probably anything above 115" at this point
5. The taxidermist I have now gives beautiful mounts for $225. Until he retires I won't pay anymore than that.
6. The longer it takes, the prettier the mount better be.
7. Quality and turn around time.
8. Yes.
9. Yes.
10. I wouldn't want any kind of damage or anything wrong with my mount unless it was my fault, which I would be willing to pay for myself