Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Frustrating Hunting

Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Spike

Angry Frustrating Hunting

I love hunting with my family. But it can be so frustrating at times. We all hunt on a family farm. I put in tons of work in the early preseason by food plots, hanging my stands, putting cameras up, and glassing from afar so not to bump deer.

The family would love to kill some nice bucks we have some nice YOUNG deer. I keep telling them just give him a year or two and he will be a stud. Their response " I dont know if can let a buck like that go" That gets under my skin. They are killing their chances on killing the deer they are looking for. I have video of bucks i let pass and seen on trailcam the this year and a def shooters.

The work i put in gets thrown in the trash about a month from season opener. Thats when they decided to put up cams and treestands, 100yds from me. Every stand I put up they hunt out of my back pocket. Cause they know I put in the work and know the deer. They also check the cams every week and not in the middle of the afternoon. Right when its time they are coming to the field. Just this past weekend they checked cams and put some Crush attractant out Which is illegal. I told them they shouldn't do that but they are family and not about to stir the pot.

I just need to win powerball then buy my own farm and have ppl with the same hunting mindset and deer management as me.

Love my family but hunting with them is very frustrating. Sorry I just needed to vent a bit.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

It sounds like you need to talk to them about the situation if you want/expect things to change. Get some nuts!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

call the game warden on them...That sucks when they don't listen to your advice/example....I know this one "kid" 19yr old thinks he's the best deer hunter in the world and hasn't killed one legally...only ones he's killed have been hit by cars...then anytime he tagged along with me last season all he did was talk.. Needless to say I haven't invited him hunting this year...
Old 09-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

best thing you can do is shut up...seriously. Don't tell them what you know or where you go and what you see. I hunt a family farm, we all do the same as you. When we talk after a hunt all we see are does and small bucks until one is hangin in the shed. Hunting is a companion sport but it's not a infomercial. Be as elusive as the creature you after.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I check my game cards frequently so the deer are a little used to me being around there...at least that's what I tell myself...so I go and check today and the idiot I was talking about a couple posts back is on my game cam by MY STAND!!WTF!!! So I called his step-dad told him to tell him to stay out/off my property...especially since we are hunting...man that "kid" would have gotten an a$$ chewing if my wife was in there and he came be bopping through thereWhats wrong with people??
Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Yep dont tell anyone anything or find a new place to hunt.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have similar conditions but I do not own any of the land I hunt on. If you do not own the family farm outright then your stuck sharing the land.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:44 AM
Spike

Well, we shoot younger deer 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 on our 100 acre farm and only have a back 40 that's wooded and once every couple years a mature buck clams its stakes there and during the rut not to many come thru and we have 4 hunters that hunt it. So I guess my question is how much land is the family farm ? is it large enuf to keep deer living on it or is it a back 40 like mine? also is there other hunters out there in your hunting neighborhood and surrounding farms? because if your the only one that's QDM you might as well shoot the small ones too or you wont get nothing. in our neighborhood we got about 1700 acres of land that consists of about 12 land owners
trying to get every one on the same page is hard might as well through it deer management out the window. We got one guy that thinks you don't need to shoot doe's and that throes off the ratio and there is us that want to keep the does down so the bucks roam, then another thinks that if no does are shoot the bucks stay on there farm, then one other guy dose not give a **** and shoots buck fawns.! so I here your struggle but you should look at all the situations you might face and settle for what you got.
Because it takes a lot of land to own to manage deer the correct way. hope this helps and yes win the powerball LOL
Old 10-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lukec19834
Well, we shoot younger deer 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 on our 100 acre farm and only have a back 40 that's wooded and once every couple years a mature buck clams its stakes there and during the rut not to many come thru and we have 4 hunters that hunt it. So I guess my question is how much land is the family farm ? is it large enuf to keep deer living on it or is it a back 40 like mine? also is there other hunters out there in your hunting neighborhood and surrounding farms? because if your the only one that's QDM you might as well shoot the small ones too or you wont get nothing. in our neighborhood we got about 1700 acres of land that consists of about 12 land owners
trying to get every one on the same page is hard might as well through it deer management out the window. We got one guy that thinks you don't need to shoot doe's and that throes off the ratio and there is us that want to keep the does down so the bucks roam, then another thinks that if no does are shoot the bucks stay on there farm, then one other guy dose not give a **** and shoots buck fawns.! so I here your struggle but you should look at all the situations you might face and settle for what you got.
Because it takes a lot of land to own to manage deer the correct way. hope this helps and yes win the powerball LOL
and that's why the Fish and game/dnr/game warden of your state regulates the tags...
Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Why not hunt state owned land with the real hunters? Better yet, just go on a pay hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.