Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Older model climber tree stands >

Older model climber tree stands

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Older model climber tree stands

Old 09-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Older model climber tree stands

Are they pretty safe?

I just got a rivers edge climber from one of my buddies. It looks really old and is metal around the back not cables like the newer ones. I climbed a little ways up a light pile in my yard and man it just doesn't feel safe. Anything I can do to make it better?

I'll try to upload a picture tomorrow and see if you guys have ever used one like it. Would there be any problem with only going up 8 feet or so in the tree and hunting out of it?
Old 09-30-2013, 05:08 AM
Spike

I think you would be fine. When I was younger me and my bestfriend used his dad's hand me down stand (had the metal around the back instead of cable) and we never had any problems with it. To be on the safe side though id limit how high you go on it and if you don't feel safe on it then I would buy a different one.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

The old "Baker" style climbers do not hold good on smooth bark trees. They do work OK on pines and other rough bark trees. Be careful! When in doubt, DON'T!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:53 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Use a safety harness all the way up!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Here's some pics of it.

I'm thinking about just putting it up about 10 feet and strapping it down and using it like a hang on since I won't be moving it anyway. You think that would work?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

As I recall from the instructions that came with my Summit climber, never use a climber on a lite pole. -- too slick. That could have been part of your problem with how the stand felt.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

This type of "clamping" has been around for a long time and does work well on a "real tree". On such trees with rather hard, slick bark ... such as a Sycamore, Hickory, Hackberry, etc. it does often have a tendency to slip. For sure tie the top and bottom pieces together> I wold suggest on each side. You can enhance the gripping by cutting "teeth" in the edge, but I'd be very careful doing so. They need only be small .... like the corner of a falt file ... to work well. You certainly do not want to effect the strength of the cross bar.

I was surprised to read of another (JagMagMan) remebering the old Baker type climbers. I did not know there was anyone else out here as old as me! Compared to the climbers on the market now, tahat was a death trap !

And I would not suggest using any climber on a "light pole".... the pole ground (a small diameter copper or copper clad wire in the photo) is there to carry current and can become energized. If you were to cut this pole ground and become in series with the two ends, could result is serious shock, even electrocution.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mojotex

I was surprised to read of another (JagMagMan) remebering the old Baker type climbers.
Old... but still breathing and hunting MoJo!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Ive done some reading on different forums and come to the conclusion that i slightly newer version of whats known as "the baker death trap". Didnt read anything about people actually dying in them but i read many of funny stories from people that were old enough to remember using these stands when they were younger.

Beings that the stand came out probably 20 years before i was even born i had never heard of them. I think ill just take the stand out and try to secure it to a tree good and put a ladder up to it.

Here's some of the threads with the stories if you would like to read them for a good laugh and maybe reminisce a little

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=162356

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...ighlight=Baker
Old 01-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Spike

Post I have this same climber

I still use my climber as a back up. Usually keep it locked up to a tree as an alternate location to hunt from. Never have and issue and actually feel safer climbing and sitting in this stand than my new one. Its just too heavy to lug around. Just make sure you have the right angle when climbing. Give yourself some room when attaching to the tree. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.