Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Bucks leaving during mid-September >

Bucks leaving during mid-September

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bucks leaving during mid-September

Old 09-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Spike

Default Bucks leaving during mid-September

I have noticed in the last few years that my bucks leave my hunting area two weeks before archery season begins. I have a salt lick that has been there for over 15 years. My game cam gets great pics of really nice bucks until mid-September.
I am not changing anything during this time period. I hunt two farms totaling over 200 acres. My lick is in the middle of these farms with great oak hardwood trees, plenty of water and browse. No crops are being harvested as one is CRP and the other is pasture.
I am very careful to scent my clothes, etc. when I enter the woods and only enter mid-day when checking my camera.
It is so bad I have wondered if my neighbor is baiting these deer just before archery...
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like they are going where the does are....IMO.. I had a ton of does one year and the next it was many many bucks..I counted at least 12-15 different ones! from spikes to nice 8 pointers...its hard to say why the change...maybe acorn better one year over the next...or the rutty bucks chasing the does out...
Old 09-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Typical Buck

Bucks leave mineral sights around mid september always do as soon as velvet starts to shed. They start breaking up from bachelor groups at this time too and start claiming their territories.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yap I had a great picture of a bachelor group,and until the rut never saw them again.At least I knew they were in the area and around.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Spike

Samething happens at our place around that time its called the September October Lull Totally agree with iayohunter once a bucks horns turn hard they start to get more and more ready to breed until they max out during that first and 2nd week of November and start roaming and claiming territory.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I wonder if all these trail cams ...,

they are telling us that deer hunting is often very tough. Of course, that doesn't stop hunters from picking out and staying at one favorite spot that they picked and not the deer.
Why with these trail cams we might just get a lot of trail cam watchers and less hunters.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suspect a spy inside the game and fish department. Either that or one of those boys has learned to read ! Maybe even has a smart phone that some goober dropped in the woods and down loaded the 2013-14 season dates. For sure, some how. the word definite got out.

Seems to be the same thing seems to be going on here in SE Alabama starting about October 15.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Spike

Thanks to all who replied, especially iayohunter.
What was said has confirmed my suspicions about the bucks not needing the mineral as much, so they leave and try to claim the top breeding grounds.
I guess my next move is deeper in the woods and try to push the envelope without getting in his bedroom and pushing him off the farm.