HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer bait for a broke guy? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/385372-deer-bait-broke-guy.html)

Wilcam47 09-28-2013 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by not the dogs (Post 4084289)
The bad thing is I can't work anymore. It really bothers me having to depend on family for support. I know that they don't mind but I've always made it by myself. Guess I'm lucky to have family that cares so much for me but it's going to take some time to get use to not working. God will see me through though. Thanks for all of the ideas. This is the best forum on the net with some great guys and gals. Hope that everyone has a great season!

Can you apply for disability? I don't know your situation but at least that would help

ky wonder 09-28-2013 02:57 PM

peanut butter will be a cheap attractant

nail the lid to a tree, screw the plastic jar back on and split the bottom of the peanut butter jar so they can lick it

FlDeerman 09-28-2013 06:37 PM

I tried peanut butter,here it was to warm and only the bees and wasp and ants loved it.
Unsweetened cool-aid.

CVG Ohio 09-28-2013 07:37 PM

Might have already been mentioned but at Rual King or Tractor Supply they sell wildlife feed blocks that usually retail around 8-9 dollars they last a long time about a month and really attract deer.

CVG Ohio

not the dogs 09-30-2013 08:10 PM

Thanks for all of the ideas. The kool-aid thing does sound interesting. I may have to give that a try. Yes I have applied for disability. I know that it may sound crazy to some but not going to work is a very hard thing to deal with. Leaving a job after 16 years that you love doing but can't do anymore takes it's toll on you.

jrfrmn 09-30-2013 10:43 PM

Bait

Originally Posted by gambit (Post 4084405)
peanut butter

I have heard that works? Has anyone else tried it?

Wilcam47 10-01-2013 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by jrfrmn (Post 4085181)
I have heard that works? Has anyone else tried it?

other animals get it before the deer do...in my experience..

GTOHunter 10-06-2013 02:13 PM

Make a Salt or Mineral Lick to draw in the Deer and keep them returning.Dig a small spot up and pour about 10-20 pounds of the cheap rock salt ($4.00 for 40lb bag) on it,add a 1/2 box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda to enhance it and save the extra salt and A & H to refresh it every 2-3 months.You can add some minerals to it a little at a time also!

Apple,Pears and other Fruits will draw in Deer also,Persimmons and Grapes will work very well also!

The Green Horn Hunter 10-07-2013 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by mr.mc54 (Post 4083795)
Salt blocks work, last a long time and are inexpensive.:s2:

+1 on salt blocks, Hell at Gander Mountain You can pick up a good sized salt block apple flavor for about $6.49 and Mine is lasting a long time...

ChasinTail 10-07-2013 12:46 PM

Corn and molasses

Most farmers wont mind to let you pick some corn up off the ground after they cut it. Just find a field and ask for permission.