Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Putting out corn!!!

Old 09-29-2003, 02:52 PM

Default RE: Putting out corn!!!

Was talking to a game warden and he said they would be cracking down on baiting because of the CWD. They have been pretty lenient in past years because IL has such a big herd but said they want to eliminate close deer contact as much as possible so as to limit the spred of CWD.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:41 PM

Welcome to the site, I hope you love it here as much as I do! I have used both shelled and cob corn. I put corn out year-round and have never had a problem with the mold since the deer eat it so fast. I still use both depending on which piece of property I am on. On the property with a lot of turkey, I will use shelled corn as the turkey love it too. On the property without a lot of turkey I use the cob corn because it seems to last longer. I go through about 700 lbs. of corn a week so I try to make it go as far as I can. Matter of fact, we plant out own corn (about 75 acres) and will still have to buy a hopper or two each year. When I put the corn out, I usually put out about 50 to 100 pounds in each location and this will last for about three days. I like to spread it out in about a eight foot circle. Good luck!! -- CDH
Old 10-03-2003, 05:32 AM

It depends on how much you want to spend and how it will last. I to put out corn. Cob is cheaper and will last longer before they have to work on it to get it. Kernal will get eat up in no time and cost a little more. Whatever you put out spread it around some so more than 1 or 2 deer can eat at the same time. The more the merrier I say. I put out 2 5gal. buckets full of kernal the other day at about noon and by 6:00 it was gone. Cobs been there a week with some left.
For the opponents. They are going to go eat in the corn field or off my pile, I ain' t drugging them. The sport is also finding them, positioning the stand in relation to bedding/trails properly, knowing when they are feeding and being able to make a clean kill shot.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:47 AM

From my past experiences with putting out corn all that ever came to my area were does. I think the bucks are smarter than this and may visit your corn but not till well after dark. As far as using corn ethical or not. Ted Nugent quoted that we dont go fishing without using any type of lure, the woods are my lake and i need all the help i can get to get them to bite . ( somethin to that effect) It really gave me a positive way of looking at it.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

I' c love to reply to this but I think It would really pi** some folks off here. In short, this is a touchy subject. I would only say that you should, nevermind.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:14 AM

This is how I make the PVC pipe style feeder.
Get a 4" Dia. Pvc pipe either 4,5,6ft. long.
1- connecter with a 45 degree coming out.
2-pvc 4" caps.
1- 3" long piece of the 4" pipe.

Take the 45 connecter and put it on the end of the pipe, Then take the 3" piece and add on to the 45 connecter but not the part that is shooting the 45 out out. the other end so it will lenghtin the pipe. Then put a PVC cap on the 45 so the corn doesnt fall out of the bottom when hanging up right in the tree. The other cap is to cover the top of the pipe to keep debris and rain from getting inside.
Then strap it to the tree, the 45 will be pointing away from the tree, so the deer can it out of the 45.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:07 PM

In NJ we' re allowed to bait in almost all areas and I bait with shelled corn with a hint of mollasses. I don' t bait as such to get the deer into the habit of having food on a daily basis. Rather, I throw down the shredded corn simply to make them stop to investigate so it' s long enough for me to get a shot.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use whole corn. It works the best for me, and the deer are absolutely tearing it up! Can' t wait for season opener Oct 18.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:39 PM

Lil E, I used to think the same way about big bucks not coming to corn until last year and this year. My good buddy shot a 142" deer in early bow season over corn at 5:30 pm when the sun set at 7:15pm. This year I have several nice bucks over corn during the daytime. Who knows, maybe the bucks are just ignorant in my area. I also like how Ted Nugent put it the way he did. Good hunting this year to everyone!!!
Old 10-11-2003, 10:35 AM

Bigdawg,

I prefer shelled corn, but you have to dispense it somehow to keep deer from gorging on it.

Before I started using a Moultrie feeder, which has a 30 gallon barrel, 6 volt motor and timer, solar recharger and 8 feet legs, I made my own out of 3 liter bottles.

Simply get some clear plastic 2 or 3 liter bottles, fill them with shelled corn, and replace the cap. Before you throw them on the ground around your hunting area, cut several dime-sized holes in them. The deer will kick or roll the bottles with their noses, and will be rewarded when some of the corn spills out. This is not meant for real feeding of deer, it is meant to keep the deer occupied and interested while you set up for a shot. Just remember to pick up your bottles after the season.

Quick Reply: Putting out corn!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.