Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Putting out corn!!!

Old 09-28-2003, 03:28 PM

Default Putting out corn!!!

Hello to all and thanks in advance. I have two smile questions and thats about putting out corn for deer hunting. Which is best shelled or cob?? And last whats the best way to put it out?? I put out some shelled a week ago in a pile and then scattered some and its got mold on it. Any help will be appreicated.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:56 PM

Default RE: Putting out corn!!!

First off, check with the local Game Warden to make sure this is a legal. We put some out in our area this weekend, 200-300 yards from where we' re hunting (this is legal here.. as long as you can' t see it) Shelled is best... and dont put it in piles because it will mold... spread it on the ground. Hope this helps,

timba
Old 09-28-2003, 05:47 PM

Off season I have put out corn with a PVC pipe, 4" X4ft. (Illegal to bait in MS). I would tie the tube to a tree, put a stick under the bottom so it will feed out. I cut part of the top of a Clorox type jug and place it over the top of the tube. Keeps the moisture out, will last about 2-4 days. Deer will paw it out and haven' t had any mold. Feb 1 is when I start feeding and that is when food is scarce here.
Russ
Old 09-28-2003, 06:10 PM

Good question, Russ gave a good suggestion. I also before season would put corn Kernals (dried) in a used 7-up bottle, being it' s green.

Any way the deer loved it, they would kick the 2ltr jug around to get the corn out.

deer would relate to the bottle even if there was nothing in it.

Edited section:

I do believe that deer should be taken through fair chase. And do not toss green 7-up 1ltrs around just to have trained deer come through looking for corn.

The preseason goodies really works good for the very first part of the season. Like a bounus. However, most offten than any, I am a very natrual hunter and rely on good knowledge and the wind.

Good luck
Old 09-28-2003, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bigdawg, if you have several deer in your area it don' t make much difference, just put it in a spot to where they can find it and it will be gone. I dumped a bag out last Wed, afternoon in a new spot and put a camera on it and got a roll of pictures in 2 nights, I checked it again today, had another roll taken up and the corn is gone.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:18 PM

Man, I hate to say it, but for your first post, you just opened a can of worms. I don' t have a problem with putting out corn, because it is legal here in NC. I put out corn from Febuary till October. Just until the acorns begin to fall good.
However, in many states it is illegal and many hunters think it is unfair and unethical. But, as long as your state says it' s ok, the best way is through a feeder or by spreading it.
Hope this helped.

By the way, don' t take other peoples opinions personaly. That is all they are. Opinions.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:59 PM

hey bo the best way to put corn out is shelled corn spread out on the ground about 20 yards all around your tree spread out... DONT PILE IT UP b/c it will mold and the deer wont eat it that well out of a pile... theyd rather graze and eat it off the ground... try this and let us know how it works... this is how we all do it .... if you use corn on the cob... the deer can carry it away from the stand and eat it in the woods somewhere else. good luck this season!
Old 09-28-2003, 08:08 PM

I have used corn both ways on the cob and shelled. They both work well, I have never had a problem w/deer carrying the cobs off. In my area the deer eat the corn so fast that mold isn' t an issue, but if it was I have a cheap and easy solution. Go and buy a 35 gal. rubbermaid trashcan and cut 4 or 5 1" triangles at the bottom. Put it out where you want it, fill it up, and tie the lid down. If you don' t tie the lid, coons and deer will knock it off. Has worked for me the last 4 years and it is easier and cheaper than all the other feeders. It holds about 200-300 lbs. of shelled corn.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:26 AM

I use a Moultrie feeder (from $19.00 to $29.00) depends on where you get them,and a metal garbage can.hang it from a large limb.it will last fo a Mo,if you fill it full.if you fill it full,you will need a pulley and a boat wench to pull it up.I have 10 of them on my hunting area.there are a lot of different ones on the market,lots of $$$$$$$$$,the Moultrie are the least expenceive and works great for me.

I run them year round,except durning gobbler season(you can' t hunt near them,so we stop so no one will get in trouble.)start them up the monday after gobbler season ends.

that is the easiest way to do it.fill them and forget them for a Mo.no sent,no one walking around the stands.they have worked for me for the past 10 years.

good luck on how ever you do it.keep us posted.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:46 AM

Cabelas has a cool " holder." They have a plastic tree stump with two holes in the bottom. It holds about fifty pounds of corn, I think. Anyway, I sometimes use both - on the cob and off. Both work fine. The only thing, there is often a corn cob wedged up in some of the branches around my stand. Only thing I can figure is that the deer like to hide them up high to keep them away from other animals.

Greg

Quick Reply: Putting out corn!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.