Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent eliminators

Old 09-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scent eliminators

First, I must admit that I have never been one to go for the gadgetry, etc. when it comes to deer hunting, but, I confess to now being intrigued by the use of scent elimination, particularly sprays for clothes, etc.

A very good friend from Maine sent me a couple of videos that he took the past few seasons that he swears were taken with the bucks directly down wind,less than 20 yards away. The hunter was six feet up, level ground, and in one video the buck was present directly down wind for nearly 2 minutes before being arrowed.

Curious to hear some reviews from folks regarding the use,brand, and results from these products. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Spike

I think the buck had a cold...
Old 09-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe the carbon clothes are a rip-off. Keeping clothing as scent-free as possible helps. Cheap baking soda works better than expensive carbon clothes though!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I keep my hunting clothes put away in big zippered plastic bags and then put them in plastic boxes. I do have scent spray but it is lower on my priorities on beating a deers nose.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

all that scentlok and carbon stuff and all personally i think is just unesecary. I keep my clothes in a plastic tote with a few leaves and sticks and i use any of the sprays that are earth scent. Doesn't matter what company it is, if it smells like dirt or the woods what else could be better. I spray the tote then put my clothes in there and spray each time i go out. Every month or so i throw my clothes in the washer with the same earth scent wash just for a quick wash of any cigarette smell or truck smells, or sweat etc. I think its the best way, its cheaper than buying all that expensive clothing and its as natural of a smell as you can get. They sell those little 3 packs of clip on wafers that smell like earth as well.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found none that work at all. Deer downwind .... you are "smelt". Read a great article in I think it was SA that spoofed the whole concept of eliminating human scent ... suits, washes, deodorants, bag storage. Used a pooch to find the "hidden"hunter. Dog did every time in about the same time ... 30 seconds or so! Nay knock down some, but I can't buy into total.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

All replies are pretty much my belief also. I told my buddy that I'd bet a dime -to-a-dollar that somewhere between him and the deer twenty yards away there was a wind transition zone, and tho it seemed like the wind was blowing the deers way, it actual was coming from a different direction by the time it got to him.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do use the sprays,but the carbon cloths I've never bought into.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

For years i used the skunk stuff on the ground and i had deer come with in 5 ft. of me, so some thing worked. Only problem is getting used to the smell.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing I know that works 99% of the time is the right wind and a deer coming at me any way but the way I came in. The Does bust me more than the Bucks because they are usually not alone. More noses,eyes and ears to stay alive by. The reason I did not say 100% is because when deer hunting nothing is ever perfect or 100%. IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.