Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent eliminators

Old 09-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use sprays and laundry detergent for when i wash my clothes. Sprays before i go into field and store clothes and stuff in those large space saver bags vacuumed small. Other then that i play the wind. I dont believe in the clothes to justify the purchase. Also hiking 2 miles to a spot in the morning when its 75 degrees in the dark your still gonna sweat a little and all that prep work does you no good. Only the wind will help when all was said and done. Also believe we have hundreds of years of people hunting successfully after fulls days work and not really taking showers so why cant we be successful. At least wont starve if we aren't successful.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Spike

i use a scentlok suit i got on black friday and it works! i had my wind blowing right at 4 deer for 10 minutes b4 i could get a shot and they didnt move or smell me at all. i also spray down, keep cloths in an air tight bag and dress in the field to make sure no other smells.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Spike

Angry

being sent free always helps, but I been hunting for a week and have been winded 5 times and I use all the sent poducts !
Old 09-24-2013, 02:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunt high and hunt the right wind for the stand. These have been the best scent eliminators I've used, and they're free!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default If scent eliminators really work effectively,

as is stated, how soon does the deer population go down and we have three day deer hunting seasons.

I find that the deer adapts and makes the decisions on danger.

Reminds me of the deer that calmly moved through a small wood lot, some 100 yards from a working leaf blower. I'm sure the deer smelled what was in that apartment parking lot.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it strange?

Is it strange there are thousands spent by hunters on scents, but how much is spent on hunter movements, that also affect deer.
Pretty hard I think to get hunters not to make movements in using the cell phone, while sitting in a tree stand.
One can only wonder how many deer got saved by a cell phone, while the hunter was using the latest in deer scents.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lukec19834
being sent free always helps,

not possible
Old 09-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Spike

I have always washed my hunting gear with the scent-away detergent in the sink and let air dry outside, then once dry sprayed with scent away fresh earth put them in a large plastic bag in the hunting closet. I have never had a problem getting winded too often, I have had deer pick up my scent off the ground if I have forgot to spray the bottoms of my boots walking in, but as most will tell you, using the wind to your advantage is more important than any of this. The biggest buck I ever arrowed to date I was standing on a 4' tall tree stump in blue jeans and a black hoody, no scent cover. (I just went after work more or less to watch) less than 20 yard shot but he was up wind and looked directly at me, I thought for sure he would see me but never did.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im curious about this so dont want to hijack the thread. I have seen the shows and have seen other hunters spray the soles of their boots before walking into the woods. Other then possibly eliminating what scent is on them at that moment wouldnt the spray wear off by time you walk 50 yards into the woods. Gone the first mud puddle you step into. Just curious on the why?