Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Let's see pics of your hunting blinds! >

Let's see pics of your hunting blinds!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let's see pics of your hunting blinds!

Old 10-03-2019, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valorius
Here's mine set up in my back yard. My daughter co-opted it for her tea parties. The carbine (loaded with Underwood 9mm+P+ 124gr Speer Gold dot bonded core JHP) is for use against any interloping black bears. They seem to think my back yard is a bear super highway, so dad maintains continuous overwatch whenever she is outside playing.
I really hope your not shooting 9 mm's at a bear's
I get being safe and all, but , I have bears in my yard all teh time, never needed to shot one yet, in 40+ yrs
and some days I have 3-9 at a time here, eating apples on my deck sucking up dropped bird seeds
there there when I am outside all the time too, I do my thing they do there's
and YES mothers with cubs too, and still never had a issue's

II get being ready and safe
but, a 9 mm isn't really great bear medicine, all the more so if if one is really mad or hungry! IMO!
not so long ago, I had a guy up the road shoot a bear in the guts due to it went in his garage
bear ran of and died a slow death!
NO win there for either,as state game dept got involved , was just a waste IMO! of a bear, j!
have heard countless stories of folks shooting them with bird shot too , to SCARE them off?
never got this either!
Old 10-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

did some cutting around mine last week. I've never even shot one out of it. Built it for some older uncle's and for my kids when they're old enough.

I prefer being on the ground mostly. It has a wood stove in it though. That's got to feel good on those cold rainy days.

-Jake
Old 10-04-2019, 06:02 AM
Spike

Should I buy a nice new hunting blind or should I make one myself. I am very crafty and could make a good one but I don't know if it would work.
Thanks
Old 10-04-2019, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
I really hope your not shooting 9 mm's at a bear's
I get being safe and all, but , I have bears in my yard all teh time, never needed to shot one yet, in 40+ yrs
and some days I have 3-9 at a time here, eating apples on my deck sucking up dropped bird seeds
there there when I am outside all the time too, I do my thing they do there's
and YES mothers with cubs too, and still never had a issue's

II get being ready and safe
but, a 9 mm isn't really great bear medicine, all the more so if if one is really mad or hungry! IMO!
not so long ago, I had a guy up the road shoot a bear in the guts due to it went in his garage
bear ran of and died a slow death!
NO win there for either,as state game dept got involved , was just a waste IMO! of a bear, j!
have heard countless stories of folks shooting them with bird shot too , to SCARE them off?
never got this either!
Hot 9mm+P+ from a 16" carbine is a direct ballistic equivalent to .357 magnum from a duty length revolver. A .357 magnum duty length revolver is entirely appropriate for black bear/trail defense.

When the bears are in your yard eating apples is your 6 yo daughter out back playing with her toys? Cause mine is. If a bear goes after my 6yo I don't care if it dies alone in the snow 2 days later. Only that it stops.

Bears have in fact mauled people in my area in the past.

In any case, some really nice deer blinds in this thread- you guys got me beat by a mile.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here's mine set up in my back yard. My daughter co-opted it for her tea parties. The carbine (loaded with Underwood 9mm+P+ 124gr Speer Gold dot bonded core JHP) is for use against any interloping black bears. They seem to think my back yard is a bear super highway, so dad maintains continuous overwatch whenever she is outside playing.
You shoot at bears with a 9mm ? Is that even legal in your state? I hope that rifle isn't sitting there loaded with kids playing in the yard!
Old 10-05-2019, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of course it is loaded. You're asking if there are caliber restrictions for SELF DEFENSE against bear attacks?

Study: Pistols or Handguns 95% Effective When Used to Defend Against Bear Attacks, 63 Documented Cases:

(do a search for that headline if you want to read the article discussing the study, by Ammoland)

"We found five cases where 9 mm pistols were used to defend against bears. All were successful."

Several of those cases were against grizzly bears.

Last edited by Valorius; 10-05-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of course it is loaded. You're asking if there are caliber restrictions for SELF DEFENSE against bear attacks?

Study: Pistols or Handguns 95% Effective When Used to Defend Against Bear Attacks, 63 Documented Cases:

(do a search for that headline if you want to read the article discussing the study, by Ammoland)

"We found five cases where 9 mm pistols were used to defend against bears. All were successful."

Several of those cases were against grizzly bears.
and how many people win the lottery?? and how many loose?

not sure how many bears you have killed, or been about
but very few experts will tell you a 9 mm is a good caliber for bears and don't care what round your firing thru it
all the more so again, as a BEAR that would pretty much need to be scared, Starving or other wise charged up , and thinking your kid is food! or some other reason to attack it
BEARS do NOT look at HUMANS as food source 99.9 % of the timer and bear attacked in the BIG picture are rare things period!
CAN it happen sure, but odds are SUPER rare!
Trying to STOP a bear with a smaller caliber that is fully focused on things is NOT an easy task with BIG Bore rifles, by the way!
I have seen countless bears shot with many calibers over the yrs, from service handgun to might big bores!

if you want to want to try and justify things cause your kid is in the yard playing, FINE< but maybe you should make your yard l, less desirable for bears in the first place

I have had many younger nieces and nephews here when bears where here too, and NEVER a issue in 30+ yrs in a VERY bear rich area
as a FACT as I am typing this, there are 8 of them in my back yard right now, 2 females with 2 cubs each, a smaller female and a smaller male
eating apples that came off my apples tree's!
I was in my shed 25 yards from them prior to me coming inside for the day!
not a one looked at me as if I was food !, today, yesterday or any other day in ALL my yrs near them
will admit some I helped trap and release, didn;t seem too happy with me, but as soon as door came open, they were just happy to get out and run away! LOL
I just hate hearing folks over panic about bears, there just larger animals, trying to survive and they again DON"T live off humans(as in eat us as a food source)
or there would be a LOT of dead people on a regular basis from them!
Old 10-05-2019, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Back on topic gentlemen. If you want to start a thread on bear self defense rounds go for it.

This is a stickied post on deer blinds and needs to stay on topic so it's not filled up with other junk.

-Jake
Old 10-06-2019, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, and my apologies for my part in even responding to the obvious trolling attempts.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:46 AM
Spike

Default Sold my old blind

I pulled it out by the highway and it sold the next day. Should have priced it higher 😶 I helped him load it on his trailer.
I've been collecting materials off of Craigslist to build a new one.
It will be bigger, better and incorporate a few ideas I learned from using this one for six years . One thing it will have is a bunk I can take a nap in.
The guy who bought it will set it on a hay wagon so he can move it to different places with the tractor. Good idea.
Attached Thumbnails Let's see pics of your hunting blinds!-2020-05-24_12_43_55.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.