Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What happens when the deer herd is over populated? >

What happens when the deer herd is over populated?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What happens when the deer herd is over populated?

Old 09-24-2013, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

We have the same issue and I not that far from you in Vernon Co, WI. 6 years ago the neighbor and I shot a bunch of does. The 2 years after it was awesome with the number of bucks out numbering does. The last couple years we have not shot as many does and neither have the neighbors. I saw 31 does and fawns on opening of archery season this year and so far I have picture of 5 different bucks is all, no shooters. So I believe there is a direct correlation having 2 many does resulting in fewer bucks in the area.
So I have got a few people who have never shot a deer with a bow who will get their chance and during the youth season a couple kids that hopefully will be grinning ear to ear.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Spike

I'am going to try to talk to the rest of the guys to fill out there doe tags and maybe get there kids hunting on some does too.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

lukec I applaud your quest for knowledge.

I thoroughly enjoy reading everything and anything I can about deer and deer hunting. But I believe it makes me a better hunter to focus on deer more than the hunting. I particularly like Deer & Deer Hunting Magazine and find it to be vastly more informative than any other deer magazine.

You will definitely get some advise here and most of it is good but deer overpopulation and the effects on their health, the environment and other factors is a real deep issue. There is a lot to read out there about it so don't hesitate to sit down for a few hours here and there and read some good studies by actual scientists/biologists. I assure you that it will be interesting and time well spent.

I hope I have helped you in some way.