Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Whats the longest you have seen a deer w/o shooting. >

Whats the longest you have seen a deer w/o shooting.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats the longest you have seen a deer w/o shooting.

Old 09-28-2003, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Whats the longest you have seen a deer w/o shooting.

This morning I was hunting our youth hunt in michigan and I had two deer pop out of nowhere 40 yds infront of me in a 1/2 acre corn field. I saw antlers but the only other thing I could see was its butt. It ate the corn from the stalks for like 15 minutes then I saw a lane that if it turned into I could shoot. It did what I wanted but only for a fraction of a second, I put my crosshairs up and it already walked out of the lane. Then this deer and another went back into the corn and for 30 minutes all I saw was the tops of shaking cornstalks and flashes of fur and antler. They then did a turn and worked up closer. I could see the deers head somewhat clearly and I think it was a nice 6 or 8 point. Anyays this went on for another 20 minutes and then the deer dissapeared into the woods just like the came in w/o me seeing them. I have only taken two bucks a three and a small six point and this would have been by far the biggest. This is really the only time I have ever seen a buck at a shootable distance and not have a chance to take it.

So I watched this deer for over an hour and never got a shot. After about 1/2 hour I was sore from holding my gun up and my excitment was long gun and I wasn' t even having fun. I know thats how hunting goes but I was just wondering how long you guys/gals have watched the big one and not get a shot.

I am however somewhat proud of myself because there was a lot of marginal shots I could have taken on that deer and I did not take them. Well I' m going out later tonight and hopefully I will be more lucky.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:20 AM

Default RE: Whats the longest you have seen a deer w/o shooting.

I' ve watched deer on a couple of occasions for over an hour without shooting, but in these cases they were deer I either couldn' t legally take or just decided not to shoot.

The longest I have watched a " shooter" without shooting........less than a minute! Usually where I hunt the big ones either offer you a shot or they are gone in a flash of white.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve watched some nice 6 & 8 pt bucks for about a half an hour at 10-15 yds respectively. At the time I had not taken a doe yet so just had to sit and bite my upper lip. Other than that the deer I have taken or shot at, only 1 or 2 min. Either shoot or their in the thick stuff and gone.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could have legally shot this deer and it would have been my biggest! I waited a whole hour and then it just dissapeared! Grrr.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I just got back from hunting tonight. The reason I' m a couple hours late is because I had to gut/drag my nine point out of some thick brush. Its my biggest buck yet its a decent 9 and it dressed out at 135. I think its a 2 1/2 year old and it only went about 50yds. I think it might have been the one from this morning.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nuge and how long did you wait this time before pulling the pin? Congrats on your deer and on the ability to hold off and not chance a marginal shot this am.[8D] See good things happen to those who wait.

To answer your first question I have waited to pull the pin on occasion, one was a mulie buck that decided half way to the coulee wall I was positioned in that he would bed down and take a rest in some sage...I saw his rack the whole time and thought about sneaking up for a shot but decided to bit my lip and hold tough. After an hour or so he got up and meadered to within 75 yards where I promptly sent a bullet from my smokepole through his lungs. My time spent watching, waiting and anticipating was about an hour and half. Oh wait a minute that was one I actually shot. Actually this year elk hunting I watched a nice bull feeding and moving for well over 2 hours closest he got to me was 75 yards that evening...I had a bow in my hand[:@].
Old 09-28-2003, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

I had 2 doe bed down about 60 yards from me while I was bow hunting. When they finally got up, one worked her way over to within 25 yards. I put an arrow over her back. Uugghh. Pretty neat to observe them that long though.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:28 AM

Hunting this year more for my son than for myself. Talk about patience and good things happening to those who wait...we had a four point come in after only fifteen minutes on stand. (3:30 or so) Hoping a doe was with him, we have to shoot a doe first her in NJ, my son was ready for fifteen minutes before he could sit down again. That deer stayed with us until dark. He bedded about fifteen yards away. We couldn' t see him since he was behind a tree but just before dark, there he was stretching and he meandered off. Never saw us and he was close, three paces at one point. I keep telling my sone PATIENCE. Your day will come.

Greg
Old 09-29-2003, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

With a gun, I don' t think I' ve ever watched a deer for more than a few seconds before shooting it. With a bow I think I' ve had deer take a half hour to work thier way into range.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well quite a few years ago I had 3 doe feed within feet of me at times for over an hour, it was bucks only so all I could do was wait. The year before last I watched 2 big bodies 6 pointers for about 1/2 hour out of range (bow hunting) then a huge 8 point stepped out, one of the 6 pointers booked, then I watched the 6 point and the big 8 point for another 1/2 hour before they wondered away.

Congrats on the 9 pointer, patience does pay.