Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tree stands

Old 09-18-2013, 07:20 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default Tree stands

Folks! please watch your selves putting up your stands or hunting from them, In local news man fell while setting up his stand he was found dead from fall.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Where was this and what type of stand?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably this one... but not much for details.

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2...olice_say.html

http://www.njherald.com/story/234603...in-mount-olive
Old 09-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default It normally takes

someone who uses no safety device at all, to fall twenty or twenty-five feet to the ground.
And it's hard to tell some people that they don't belong up high in a tree. Climbing isn't hunting. But by now, it seems to be the same thing.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I harp on this subject every chance I get .... use a fall restraint harness. I have good reasons to. My brother fell from a 12' ladder and suffered a crushed C3, non-spine sever injury. The spinal chord was injured and that left him at no better than 50% of preinjury strength from his shoulders down. One of my best buddies fell about 18' after losing his balance in a tree stand while he was trying to remove a dead limb that was in the way of a shooting lane .... suffered a double compound fracture just above right ankle, total dislocation of left ankle, broken ribs, punctured lung, cracked collar bone, concussion and a boat load of pain for weeks afterward.

Simply no reason not to use one ... only excuses ... and sadly sometimes regrets.

What a tragedy!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Spike

What killed him?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DogCatcher
What killed him?
The sudden stop at the bottom.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

A comment to Valentine's post. Unlike some of the western areas that I have hunted where clear views can exceed a mile or more, where I hunt here in Al. a clear shot past 150 yards is extremely rare. More times than not, I am hunting were the ground level view is 50 yards max. So I go up most of the time.

I will argue that a great deal of "hunting" goes into placing a tree stand that ends up being productive. The hunting isnot classic spot-stalk, or even still hunting ... but more in the scouting ahead of time to find that ideal place to set a tree stand .... and figuring out the best route in/out so as to create the least disturbance.

I, like every decent deer hunter down this way that I know, put in days (often weeks) of scouting looking for good spots to set up a ground blind or tree stand. n fact one of my buddies and I spent 5 full days last week scouting and placing lock-on stands where signs were clear and plentiful. Neither of us saw or even jumped a deer as we traveled around the 3100 acres we hunt. But I'll make book that we have located at least 10 great spots ... we'll see by down into mid- December after the late November estrus cycle starts to wane.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Psylocide
The sudden stop at the bottom.
Yup will get you every time. whether it be 4 feet or 30 feet that sudden stop is what hurts the most. My advice is and always will be use a harness and attach to the tree or tether line when going up or down and sitting in tree no matter how high up you are.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:46 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

This was printed in the buffalo news, it happened in Newfame N.Y.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.