Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Early Season MT Whitetail (with finished euro) >

Early Season MT Whitetail (with finished euro)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Early Season MT Whitetail (with finished euro)

Old 09-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Awesome buck and great way to start the season! Congrats!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Euro

Well I just finished my Euro mount from the Buck I shot late last week. Turned out pretty darn good. They seem to be getting easier to do and look better. I started skinning sat morn and was bleaching him sat afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails Early Season MT Whitetail (with finished euro)-skull.jpg  

Last edited by deernutz; 09-17-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lookin' good!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Looks great!!! You just skinned it all with a knife? I've used several methods but haven't had one come out looking that clean.

My latest project I used the pond method but I wasn't real impressed with it.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used the new Havalon knife and a dental pick that I bent the end into a small hook. That knife is amazing. I was kind of skeptical at first, but I used it this year on an elk a deer, and this Euro. Worth the money.

There are things you can do to make it turn out. Get as much flesh off. Bring water with dawn to a rolling boil. Put the skull in, and then turn the heat down to a simmer. Keep in no longer then 1 hr. Clean the rest of the flesh off it then put in household peroxide for 24 hrs.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a really nice buck! Congrats. I would have shoulder mounted him though. But, out there you prolly kill bucks his size fairly often.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks early in. I'm just over shoulder mounts. I would rather have something I can grab off the wall and throw in the truck if my buddies want to see. Plus when you move a lot its annoying worrying about shoulder mounts in the trailer. I have 7 on the wall with euro mounts a foot below in between them. Looks pretty sharpe.

As for the deer out here. There are some big whitetail for sure. Most people don't hunt them here. They spend most of their time after elk and mulies. My approach is to hunt for a whitetail buck first. Then worry about an elk.

Funny story. last night I went out to try and fill a antlerless tag, and right at dark I glassed over by my stand I shot this buck from and there was one twice his size standing under my stand. But thats hunting.