Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Two Shooters in Illinois

Old 09-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Two Shooters in Illinois

Just curious what you guys think these 2 would score and their age range.
Attached Thumbnails Two Shooters in Illinois-pict0060.jpg   Two Shooters in Illinois-pict0051-2-.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 12:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

130s they look bigger cause of the velvet
Old 09-10-2013, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default With these great trail cams...

I wonder when the last trophy buck will roam America. Why they're getting reserved for harvesting before they're actually seen.

If it wasn't for that iphone use in a tree stand, the deer wouldn't have a chance.

Last edited by Valentine; 09-10-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Valentine
I wonder when the last trophy buck will roam America. Why they're getting reserved for harvesting before they're actually seen.

If it wasn't for that iphone use in a tree stand, the deer wouldn't have a chance.
I don't get what you're saying? Please explain.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine

I don't get what you're saying? Please explain.
I think I get what he's saying.

He's saying that guys put up these trail cam pics of great bucks and ask "should I shoot this one, or let him grow, etc....

That's certainly counting one's chickens before they hatch. If you have a web cam on your vegetable garden, you can watch and wait and go harvest that tomato when its the right size for you.

In real life hunting, if you get to see a buck, that's great. You probably won't have all of your inventory walking in front of your stand, waiting for you to choose.

Now, I have to follow that by saying that I love trail cams and I love sharing pictures and guessing scores. But, I'm not basing what I harvest based on my trail cam inventory. I'll take what I can get if it's decent.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I had a dollar for every shooter buck I've had on camera in the last four years I'd have about $100 dollars. If I had a Dollar for every one of those bucks I shot then I'd only have $2. Just getting a buck on camera means nothing other than he was there at one point. It takes a lot of effort get your hands around the antlers than it does to get a picture. I have hundred of hours on the stand that prove that.

They are good bucks and both shooters in my opinion. In velvet, they look a lot bigger in my opinion. If they are bucks that you would be happy shooting then they are big enough and old enough to shoot. I know I wouldn't hesitate!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

I know what you mean fastetti, it seems about the time they start to shed their velvet, they disappear. I did get to see the 8 last year in December, hoping to get a crack at one this year. The "pros" on t.v. make it seem like if you get them on trail cam then that its a dead deer come hunting season.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I had a dollar for every shooter buck I've had on camera in the last four years I'd have about $100 dollars. If I had a Dollar for every one of those bucks I shot then I'd only have $2.
That's pretty good. You're batting .500

The pros on TV seem to have all the deer on a shelf and can see any one of them any time they want. They see the same bucks on stand every year and can plan on shooting them, years in advance.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

A couple nice bucks for sure
Old 09-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Southern Illinois is one of my favorite spots to hunt. I've shotgun hunted there three of the last four years and have been pretty successful. If I saw either of those deer any of those years they would have been shooters.

Last year was probably the nicest day weather wise for opening day. I couldn't have dreamed up a better day. Saw about 20 deer opening morning. The evening hunt I only saw one deer but he is at the taxidermist right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.