Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question About Field Dressing

Old 09-27-2003, 05:59 PM

Default Question About Field Dressing

I' m on a lease in South/West Texas and will be using the same stand location for most of the season. Do you guys think that field dressing a deer where it falls will create any problems or effect my chances of getting more deer later in the season? Will the deer avoid a gut pile? Should I drag the deer out of the stand area before I field dress it?
Old 09-27-2003, 07:00 PM

Default RE: Question About Field Dressing

drag the deer out of the area do not gut on the same place as your stand will be there will be alot of scent on the ground. and you will attract coyotes.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gut piles have never bothered the deer that I have hunted! It will be gone in a day or two. I have killed deer over gut piles before, so I usually gut ' em where they lay!
Old 09-27-2003, 08:03 PM

In my area the coyotes will have the pile gone before the next morning. It doesn' t bother the deer where I am, and it really doesn' t matter that I am drawing in coyotes b/c they will be there reguardless if I draw them in or not.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:52 PM

gut them where ever is easiest, i havent had a problem yet, my friend shot one last year at about 8 a.m we gutted it and had it out and back by 9 and i shot mine at about 9:30 so it shouldnt matter much
Old 09-27-2003, 10:39 PM

Not trying to start anything here but I always bury the guts etc... In my opinion, it is more ethical. -- CDH
Old 09-28-2003, 03:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

NOPE, I shot a second deer already when the deer was standing right next to the gut pile. Infact he seemed curious with it
Old 09-28-2003, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

In my experience it doesn' t seem to bother them.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:07 AM

Gut em where they fall Hasn' t seemed to bother anything yet. Burying the gut pile ethical?
Old 09-28-2003, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

A pile of guts won' t bother them any but I ususally try to get mine to the barn or somewhere to hang him up with a garden hose near by cause I' m usually withn 300 yards of the house, I can do alot cleaner job of gutting one hanging and you don' t have the body cavity all full of leaves and junk.

Quick Reply: Question About Field Dressing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.