Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Road kill.....

Old 09-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Spike

Default Road kill.....

This morning at 6:25, I saw two young fawns and a momma by the side of the road in the country. The fawns were sitting in the grass and the momma was laying down. It seemed odd so I stopped and honked my horn. The mommas ears perked but otherwise she was still. It's currently 85 degrees at 4:40. I just passed the same spot and she is still there. The fawns are gone. Is this a deer you would harvest (given that you were legally capable and she were not breathing now) or is this food for the coyotes?

Just a question. I've got plans and can't deal with it, but were I free I wonder....

What would you do?
Old 09-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

I would contact the Conservation Officer and report it. Especially if the deer is injured. No need to let it suffer.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:21 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

85 is pretty warm, but if the deer's guts are not mangled up, this is a deer that is probably fine for consumption. If I had the time, I would take it - just skin it, quarter it, and stick the quarter's in the freezer to chill. Been there and done that. The alternative is a carcass rotting, stinking, and possibly a place for rabies to spread. In our state, the last I knew, the sheriff's deputy will provide a tag and will also shoot the animal if needed. Law's may have changed now - it has been a while since I took a road kill.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take it it's fresh. Process right away because of the heat.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rhody Hunter
Take it it's fresh. Process right away because of the heat.
+1!! Get it on ice fast and as long it is alive, or JUST died, and the guts are intact, free burger!!!!!!
And arrowmaster stated, no need to let it suffer. You can call any LE agency to take care of putting it down. And then contact the CPO's for a free tag to get it processed. You must have that tag with the carcass for processing just like deer season in case of Inspectors.

Last edited by SecondChance; 09-11-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I once found 3 corpses 70 yds off a road while bird hunting. The way things were laying seemed the doe got hit, died and the fawns were trying to nurse. A sad sight for anyone. Only a few years ago I found a fawn with spots in Dec. Take them if it's legal.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MZS
85 is pretty warm, but if the deer's guts are not mangled up, this is a deer that is probably fine for consumption. If I had the time, I would take it - just skin it, quarter it, and stick the quarter's in the freezer to chill. Been there and done that. The alternative is a carcass rotting, stinking, and possibly a place for rabies to spread. In our state, the last I knew, the sheriff's deputy will provide a tag and will also shoot the animal if needed. Law's may have changed now - it has been a while since I took a road kill.

yes in Wisconsin you can get a tag. just call ether the sheriffs department or call 911 and say its not an emergency and they will send the nearest cop to come and give you a tag.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

i would 100% check out any deer in that position to see if its suffering. if it is you gotta do whats right and end it. then call the fish&game and if local laws allow it thats fresh meat for you to take if not at least you did the right thing.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

last year i was bow hunting and 2 days in a row i saw a little fawn by itself with road rash and a broken and ugly back leg. it was laying near my stand just whining. i let it go the first day which i really shouldnt have but the second afternoon it was still there no mother or anything and it looked in pain and sick. I did what i had to do and used my tag on it instead of a bigger doe just so it wouldnt suffer or the coyotes wouldnt come to it. taking care of the wildlife sometimes sucks but no animal should have to suffer. chances are if you call the cops or fish&game on a deer like that they will prob put it out of its misery anyway.