Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How many deer does the average hunter kill... >

How many deer does the average hunter kill...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many deer does the average hunter kill...

Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

You guys down south must spend a lot of time butchering deer! Up here in N. WI you can get 3 if you are lucky and hunt in many different locations. There just are not that many deer, in fact virtually none right near my 30 acres. I run nearly 4 miles every other night around dark - I might see 2 or 3 and some nights none as I run past hay fields that used to have many deer. Too many hunters in my neighborhood and too many tags. This year, I think my deer meat will come from some new public land areas I scouted out.

Last edited by MZS; 09-08-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

MZS...Yep, we are having fun...

We own 3 farms and kill 40-50 each year, some evenings we clean 7-8 deer...You get pretty good at it after awhile....
Old 09-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tundra10
contributor to the PA herd reduction
I hunt in md
Old 09-08-2013, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I average 1 buck and 1 doe each year. That's because I choose to stop after that. When I was younger I would shoot as many big deer as I could. But 5+ deer each year got expensive and was really a waste.

I'm 31 years old with a wife and 2 kids. 2 deer is perfect for us/me.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Spike

I think this is kind of a goofy question. There are so many variables that I don't really think there is such thing as an "average" hunter. The state regulations, land you hunt, deer density, hunter density, management approach, time you have, type of hunting a guy does, family size, etc. are all factors. As guys have already said, there were years when I was younger and the density was so high in my part of Wisconsin that we needed to knock down a lot of does. Sometimes 6 or 7 a year by myself. Now that my land is in balance and I have a family of five, I usually only shoot a buck and two does. I guess it's created discussion, but I don't really think you can average out all hunters across the country and get a number that means anything.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toejoe625
I hunt in md
I apologize.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:58 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by clydeNY
...over a lifetime?

Note that the question isn't, how many deer have you killed? as I'm sure this forum is weighted a bit toward the prolific end of the scale (it seems to attract many experienced, successful hunters).
Thats hard to say,, when i was younger 50 to 60 now they look good thru the scope i realy have to think about shooting it. To much work for a 70+ hunter.

Last edited by RWK; 09-11-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

There really isn't an accurate answer to this question, but this "average hunter" kills an average of 2 deer per year. Usually one buck and a doe. I've had years where I only killed one doe, and other years where I killed a buck and 2 or 3 doe. It's all good.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:32 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know. Sometimes none, sometimes 4. The Pa. law used to be 1 deer, buck or doe. In the Southeast the tags are pretty much unlimited now. I really started bumping up the deer take when I started hunting out of state. I guess I average about 3 a year overall. Depends on how long you can stay alive too.

MichiganWhitetails74: You should keep a log. Our gang goes to West Virginia every year and just started about 4 years ago. When you sit around the campfire and try to recall what went on in other years it is tough. I should have started 25 years ago
Old 09-10-2013, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta agree with ya Gunplummer. Keeping a log is a good idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.