Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

no blind ideas

Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Spike

Default no blind ideas

Ok guys Im going on a hunt in 2 weeks n im in south florida, I was gunna borrow a blind from some one cuz im a broke college kid and cant really spend the money to buy one so what do you guys think i should try? make a natural one? spot and stalk? try to get up in a tree?
Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't recommend hunting out of a tree without a stand.

You can mess around with making a natural one if you really want to, or you can just sit next to a big ol' tree and stay still.

I would still hunt if I were you... you may be at a bigger disadvantage, but it's much more fun than sitting in a blind (if you ask me). And if the mood strikes you to sit, take a seat on a log.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 AM
HIN
Spike

You can find enoungh natural materials to use on the spot. I am imaging a piece of a thin tree leaned on a large tree covered with leaves. Simple, cheap...but unmovable.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Spike

Thanks guys I think the first couple of days ill try still hunting like you said by a tree with a little simple camoflauge and after try a bit spot and stalk im just looking for meat for the freezer so im not worried bout a monster buck or anything its really my first deer hunt.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you sit on the ground,watch for snakes.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Spike

thanks for the heads up i work outside so im well aware of snakes
Old 09-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're getting good advice.

There's an old adage that's helped harvest many deer: "Find a stump. Sit on it all day."

That said, I like a little concealment and a few logs and limbs thrown together work fine. The idea is to break up your shape. If you don't get to fidgeting and moving, you'll be ok. Camo helps with this, if you have some, but not all that necessary. You could get some at a place that sells army surplus, maybe the thrift store without breaking the bank.

Downed trees are great, and I've hunkered into cedar trees, grape vines, etc.

Here's a couple of ways to rig up a cheap blind: Gunny sacks/burlap or a bed sheet from the thrift store and dyed with some Rit Dye from the laundry section of the grocery store or wal-mart. Tie them between trees or throw them over some brush to conceal yourself. An army pup tent can be had for $20 or so and half can be set up as a kind of lean-to. heck, even some camo fabric from the sewing section of wal-mart could be had cheaply.

Stillhunting works well. It actually goes well with situations like yours. I've hunted land I where I didn't get to scout. So I simply stillhunted till I found a place with good trails and deer sign and then plopped into the nearest downed tree. I carry a fold up chair on my back to have a place to sit.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 09-05-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Spike

The area im going to has alot of palmettos and pines you think the palmettos if i cut some and arrange them right would do the trick?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I used to deer hunt I never used a tree stand and I never made a blind in advance. I just found a place that seemed like a good place to hunt from. At one such place I sat on a dead fall log behind a bush of some kind. From this position, I looked up a narrow clear cut to a hill about 120 yards away. I was comfortable. I was in the shade (shadows help to conceal the hunter). Most of my body was cloaked by the bushes in front of me. I shot 3 deer from that specific place over about 4 years. Another place was under a small tree with a view to a place where woods stopped close to a small stream where deer crossed and drank. I was in the shade. The ground had some dead branches laying around that at least partly obscured my lower body. I took 2 deer from this area.

I prefer hunting from these places. I am wholly free to select a position as I want based on the wind or any other special conditions at that time. If you know your deer hunting ground, this works very well . . . and you ought to know your deer hunting ground. That is the best tool for success is knowing in advance your hunting ground. Where do the deer go and when? Sit in the shadows. Move as little as possible. When you DO move -- and we all move -- move SLOWLY. This includes your head as well as your hands. Try to keep some stuff in front of you -- bushes, broken branches -- that breaks up your siluouette. Good luck.

Last edited by Alsatian; 09-06-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
Gunny sacks/burlap or a bed sheet from the thrift store and dyed with some Rit Dye from the laundry section of the grocery store or wal-mart.
Great ideas. I've used the burlap bags from the farm store as well. Only cost like $1.50 each and you can put 2 together with wire or zip ties or cut one open to utilize the whole piece. Stretched bewteen a couple of saplings in front of a big tree & brush it in a little. This actually makes a pretty decent hide for under $5...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.