HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Hunting SWAMP bucks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/384537-hunting-swamp-bucks.html)

Bigeasy08 08-28-2013 06:36 PM

Hunting SWAMP bucks

Ok, I know the gist of everything to have to do with hunting mature deer in swamps. I know where to scout, what to look for, etc. I have been hunting a swamp for years now and understand a lot of the movements of deer, but I mostly stick to the outer edges of the swamp. A lot of really successful hunters will tell you that you need to dive right into a big bucks bedding area to kill him...so I have one question concerning most of the debate with hunting swamps...

Lets say you come across a high spot in the swamp. It has oaks on it and leads to another high spot that is thick to death with cover...there are rubs everywhere and it is obviously a hotspot for a big buck and you need to hunt the area..

How do you guys manage to get into that area without either blowing the deer out or alerting him that something is up? I mainly bowhunt, so obviously it makes it more difficult to hunt anything thick...but I just have a hard time figuring out when you would get into an area like that to hunt it. Sure, you can try to get there early enough in the morning to cut him off, but even if you ever try to hunt it in the afternoons, how would you know if he is there watching you climb your tree?

I talked to a guy once who kills giants out of swamps. He hunts about 80 yards from these high spots and never goes into the swamps before 10am and kills a lot of deer mid afternoon. I would assume that a deer is back to its bedding area by 10am and that you would jump him coming in...am I wrong? are the patterns just completely different in a swamp? It is hard for me to see that you can sneak up on a deer like that in its own environment, regardless of wind direction, scent control, or stealthiness, and it not know you are there unless he is in another zip code working his way back.

North22 08-29-2013 07:02 AM

I'd love to hear some good answers to your question. I have killed nice deer in hardwoods, but not swamps. I have access to a great swamp that holds a few nice P&Y deer every year. I get em on camera, but have difficulty sealing the deal. Thanks for asking the question!

HIN 08-29-2013 07:59 AM

Nice way to start a debate. The more experienced hunters will answer. Their behaviour is really different and unexperienced hunters may just encounter bucks in swamps because they are as fast as on regular ground.

Bigeasy08 08-29-2013 12:22 PM

I'm interested to see some answers. A lot of giant deer go unheard of every year by hunters who are willing to spend time in swamps. And even though there are so many different types of swampland, every one produces big deer. I have several different types I can hunt myself, but most of it is seasonal swamps and are really a mix of lowlands, water oaks, and thickets that are near impossible to walk through...

I was really interested last year when I shot a doe that ran into the swamp I hunt around. When I made my way in there, I noticed tons of rubs in the thickets mess I could imagine a deer walking through. It was a high spot so I know a deer beds there. I have since then managed to place a small food plot about 80 yards from this area in hopes I can draw a mature deer out without plowing through his bedding area. This year should be interesting

olsaltydog 08-29-2013 01:09 PM

We are swampy all over here in eastern NC especially if we are hunting near a river or the ICW. The deer go there for a reason. It's thick, noisy for us to get into and they can see and smell us while we have a very hard time discerning them from all the brush. They have full advantage in this zone.

My father has gotten a few in these areas so gave him a call. He said use dogs. Lol but told him not me was for advice online. He explained a lot of those deer get in there and get in a little earlier then other deer. So they may actually be bedded down by 7-8. If not earlier. So if you go it would have to be early and still may not get in. He also went on to explain those areas are thick but it is like a home for them. They may be in there but one day may be bedded about a hundred yards from where you think he is like the living room then another time in a different spot like the bedroom. He also said dont hunt these areas often. If you hunt it and jump a deer best not try again. May be able to try after a few weeks but once is enough to push these deer away.

He said more but I'm on an IPAD at the moment so may try to add what else he was saying later. I been curious about this as well because this past weekend I scouted a new area this past weekend and planned to hunt the outer edge like you. So he knows the area I am hunting and has been giving me pointers. Due hope to hear from other experienced hunters as well. Hope what I passed on gets it started though.

North22 08-29-2013 04:37 PM

They get so dang tough to pattern in these areas it seems. I've really struggled to find any natural funnels. We also have tried kill plots just inside of the swamp without getting right on top of them. We get pics, even day pics. But it's hard to hunt a wind when you're not sure where deer are bedded. I suspect my buddy and I are getting busted most of the time. I have tried to get him to hunt the swamp stands we have less, but that doesn't seem to interest him. And Im kinda stuck, because its his land. Anyway, I'm no Chuck Adams, but I think I do know my way around the woods - yet these big, thick swamps really humble me.

NjHunter85 08-29-2013 07:36 PM

your best bet is to get in as early as possible. if it means being in there 2 hours before sunlight thats the dedication that will pay off. see if there is a quiter route in there than just the thickest spot. deer will take the path of least resistance just like a human. there might be a trail somewhere or a tunnel you might have to crawl through but might be harder ground or packed down mud or something that will make it a bit quieter than another trail. also try to "sound like a deer" when your walking in. take a few steps then stop for 2 min. keep your grunt call on you make a couple very soft grunts when you stop or something. obviously you know and plan on coming to that spot while the deer are in it because its their bedding area and you mainly hunt with a bow so your plan is more or less a spot and stalk method. see if you can get as close as you can without spooking them and try to call them to you. might take 5 times or so to get progress but all you need is that one time. one last thing that could work but is really a last resort is wait for a windy day. come into that thick swamp with a good head wind. the wind will conceal alot of noise and scent if its blowing the right way for you. only thing with the bow and the wind is you gotta be real close but it is possible. i believe outdoor life magazine had an article recently about hunting in the wind. anyway good luck!

Patrick Eubanks 09-02-2013 10:49 PM

go to the food and the does. They will meet you there. If you are trying an early season strategy, hunt the very edge of the waterline. Deer will travel on the waterline. Next time you go in your swamp look for the travel corridors. They will be very apparent. This time of year (early) they will be bedding very close to the food. (in eyesight) Find a trail going into the swamp and set up on the waterline. Good luck and post pics of that swamp donkey.

Hoyt63 09-03-2013 08:52 AM

When hunting marsh bucks scout in the winter/spring and pick your tree then. Find their bedding. Look for rubs on trees in the islands by the beds. Hunting the beds can be successful but don't over hunt it. You may only get a couple hunts before he is on to you so make them count. Dont go to high in tree stand, you dont need him busting you from the ground because suddenly there is a strange lump in a tree there wasnt before..Getting just high enough to see to shoot works best. Get in early,go slow,very slow. You cant be sloushing around in the water as they will hear it. A moderate breeze is an advantage as it will help with noise. Morning hunts are out. Only hunt evenings. You get in there in the morning and cant get a shot odds are you spook him getting out.Make sure your entrance is downwind. Takes a lot of patience but is doable.Dan Infalt has an excellent video exculsively on hunting marsh bucks worth every penny. He has his own forum full of info on this type of hunting. http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/

olsaltydog 09-03-2013 09:11 AM

Forgot about this one. The wind helping hide your entrance is one thing my father said. He also said he uses the rain. If you got rain and its gonna clear up within an hour or two use that to get into the area. Will hide your noise and obscure their vision in the hopes that you can get in and settled before they can pick you out. Last thing he said was you cant really change anything there. If you start moving things or clearing lanes the deer will pick up on that quick. Kinda like adjusting someones car seat and hoping they wont notice, they will.

We went this past weekend to another swamp he used to hunt and showed me the things he was talking about. Its very interesting but must keep a very detailed account of your surroundings and what the deer are doing in the area. From what he showed me is you dont want to carry anything extra, really keep it to the basic gear. You will be spending quite a bit of time ducking thorn vines and branches which at some points even getting on your hands and knees. The more gear you carry the more gear that may get snagged on something that will make noise. We made our way into the area keeping close to thickets and if needed to move towards the open, stayed low and near the swamp cypress trees. Those at least give you cover if you see movement or want to stop and spot your surroundings before continuing.