Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Doe hunting

Old 08-21-2013, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a "true talker"but it is a little complicated,I've seen calls at Walmart that were just fawn calls and I doubt the brand will matter much.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did this on my first hunt last year when I had a Doe about 60 yards out. I did not use a distress call. I did a real soft cry and she came over to investigate. Being a young Doe she fell for it and it cost her a ride in my pickup. I was kind of surprised it worked but light was fading fast and I figured I had nothing to loose. If anything she was just curious and she was totally relaxed as well.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any recommendations on that fawn in distress call? Which one is best?
Fawn Commander.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Spike

I'm confused. Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but calls and scents... For does??? Just scout, setup, and shoot 'em.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by North22
I'm confused. Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but calls and scents... For does??? Just scout, setup, and shoot 'em.
It's fun and adds to the hunt...Only by experimenting and trying new things do we learn..............
Old 08-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does are vocal as well as Bucks, they communicate with their offspring. If you can use their calls to draw them in thats not a waste of time when they seem to always be just out of range. I agree its best just to set up where they travel through but every once in a while you might need a little trick up your sleeve.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Illinois I called in more coyotes than deer with a fawn in distress call. So I don't use it, I hunt food sources or where 2 or 3 major trails intersect.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Spike

I am aware that does are vocal. I've just never heard of anyone having difficulties shooting one I guess.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am aware that does are vocal. I've just never heard of anyone having difficulties shooting one I guess.
No difficulties, we kill 45-50 deer a year.....
Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 AM
Spike

That's interesting. Predominantly by calling? I also have called in more dogs than deer it seems with bleats. I am a little reluctant to call prerut at times even because i seem to bring in yotes that are just working against me. I have never tried a fawn in distress call or other tactics, but I really don't target does. I tend to kill one or two a year, but just sit certain stands that don't have a lot of buck activity so I don't screw anything up.

I'm getting a buddy into bow hunting and he's got the green light to kill anything he wants on my property. I just want to see how excited he is when he finds whatever it is . I will have to share some of this with him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.