Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Flashlight or no flashlight walking to your stand? >

Flashlight or no flashlight walking to your stand?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Flashlight or no flashlight walking to your stand?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan's story on his website (and here) are the reason that I will always have some sort of cap light on the brim of my hat this fall. First time I read that I couldn't believe there are people in the woods like that. Even more people said they had things like that happen to them too. I hunt private but now will still have a green light on when I walk in and out in the dark.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nys-buckstalker
I have a head lamp that has a blue led ared led and a white reg. light. It mostly on the red led for walking in. doesn't seem to spook deer as much as the white does.
Question for BukMastr. U said it was at night after shooting light. What in the world was the guy still hunting in the dark ? Sounds like the guy was illegal as hell.
Yep.. It was to dark to even see a deer. Im glad he didn't have a gun.

About 15 - 20 years ago we had a young girl just down the street have her horse she was riding shot and killed while she was on it at night on private property with a rifle in a shotgun zone on private posted land too...
Accidents are not as random as some people think... You need to realize there are idiots and nuts out there and do what you can to prevent them from taking you out.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would rather not use a light if possible. It really depends on the moon. On public properties I always use a light, got a small blue one and a bright white one.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Spike

Lol. Ok "y'all," said the guy from New Jersey.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NjHunter85
this might sound stupid but practice walking your land in the dark. either morning or night. obviosly try it well before hunting season begins. a good hunter will know his land like the back of his hand. the less light and noise the better. everything extra you do will pay off in the end.
Good advice. I use the same trails to my stands every year, so I know them well enough to walk them in the dark without a light, except when there's a "new moon" (no moon). Then I'll use a mag lite pointed to the ground only.

I use these same trails when I check my cams too, so each time I walk it I'll remove any sticks/branches that have fallen since the last time I went through. This allows for a very quiet entrance and exit when you go to actually hunt.

Last edited by early in; 09-15-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Spike

Default Flashlight or not waliking to stand?

When I had tree stands or ground blinds off roads or trails I used reflective strips of military decals I had to which I had access to mark trails. Using these(and others similar for sale) you can mark a trail through the woods with white/red/green lights easily. Some of mine were 200 yds deep into the woods and looked like a highway!