Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Flashlight or no flashlight walking to your stand? >

Flashlight or no flashlight walking to your stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Flashlight or no flashlight walking to your stand?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always use a flashlight pointed straight down so other hunters can tell I'm not a deer.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:25 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the input y'all!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

I use the surefire flashlight with a red lens when walking out to my tree stand.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

Depends...

The private land we hunt, no need for lights. There are two families hunting on the property, neighbors are well known, they stay on their property - there is nobody between me and my tree-stand, nobody within 300 yards of my "middle of the woods" tree-stand.

When we used to hunt a property in another state though, there we ALWAYS used lights. We had permission to hunt the woods & fields, another group (10+) of people had permission to hunt the fields, edge of the woods - just not the woods. You never knew if you were the only person walking in or walking out. This is the same reason I always walked in MUCH too early, and WELL after shooting time. I would unload my gun at shooting time here, and still wait another half-hour to let the other bozo's clear out.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 AM
Spike

It has never occurred to me to use a flashlight on the way in or out. They only come out for tracking/gutting at night.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use small LED light when needed. There are some old logging and 4-wheeler trails one place I hunt so it's pretty easy walking in without light or cupping it and allowing just enough light when needed. I always avoid shining it around. Being quiet as possible is the best bet and to get in plebty early to allow time to for things settle down.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

when I used to guide I was tracking a clients wounded deer alone a few hours after dark and had given up for the night and was walking out with my flashlight off and in the silence I heard a noise that sounded like an arrow sliding on a rest in a tree above me, it kind of creeped me out, so I flicked my light into the tree to find some whack job at full draw aiming right at me. He let the bow down and then started yelling at me about being an idiot for walking around public land with my light off and that I was lucky he didn't shoot me... I did not say much of anything just made tracks away from him swiftly. I learned at a young age not to argue with armed idiots. When I got out his truck was parked next to mine, I went to meet the client who had gone to get his hunting partner at Gaugerts gas station in Sullivan. It took almost an hour and when we drove back past the guys truck was still there...
Up till that point I rarely used a light and prided myself on my stealth approach... One of my best traits ( in my opinion ) is my ability to recognize mistakes and not repeat them. I now use some form of light. I usually just flick it enough that anybody poaching deer knows I am human. I don't believe poaching is a huge problem here, but that experience was a well taught lesson... I have said many times if you stop look and listen, each one of us can learn something from everybody else regardless of how good or bad they are... That Dude taught me one of my most valuable lessons that day, and for that I thank him, even if he is an idiot poacher.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

I always use a light walking in and walking out. I will generally use a red lens, depending where I'm hunting. I use a light more for the fact that I don't want to get shot by someone mistaking me for a deer, than using it for seeing where I'm going.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunter your post made me laugh last night. I found myself stuck in my stand with deer in all 4 directions after dark. I climbed down in the dark. Fumbled around in the dark snapping branches, tripped twice, swore a few times. I must have sounded like a bear during mating season. The whole time I was thinking of your post to use a light or not to. After I almost fell in the creek. I said screw it and used my light. I didn't hear any blowing of deer or anything breaking brush trying to get out of their. So I think I'm alright. To my defense it is thick with dead falls and knee high bushes. So I learned I'm gonna have to come up with a plan. I really don't want to use my light but i can't figure out how to find my way in or out without using it.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

I have a head lamp that has a blue led ared led and a white reg. light. It mostly on the red led for walking in. doesn't seem to spook deer as much as the white does.
Question for BukMastr. U said it was at night after shooting light. What in the world was the guy still hunting in the dark ? Sounds like the guy was illegal as hell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.