Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Flashlight or no flashlight walking to your stand? >

Flashlight or no flashlight walking to your stand?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Flashlight or no flashlight walking to your stand?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
I use a head light...I think the noise of me stumbling around scares deer more than the light.
What he said.

I live in the country. Because of skunks and so she won't take off after a deer, I take my dog out on a leash before I go to bed at night. I'll often see deer's eyes in the light from my head lamp, and as long as we don't move toward the deer, they won't spook.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

i think the noise of walking in and climbing into the stand is the biggest part. that will spook the deer more than anything. the best bet is to get in as early as you can even though it sucks(put in the time and it will pay off). most of the time if you get in early enough and quiet enough the deer will just circle back. i use a little green clipon headlamp or a flashlight pointed to the ground with my hand cupped over it. i also try as much as possible to walk like a deer ha ha. take a few steps and stop. but as long as your not shining a bright 200lumen light all over whatever deer you kick up should come back around after things settle.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NjHunter85
i think the noise of walking in and climbing into the stand is the biggest part. that will spook the deer more than anything. the best bet is to get in as early as you can even though it sucks(put in the time and it will pay off). most of the time if you get in early enough and quiet enough the deer will just circle back. i use a little green clipon headlamp or a flashlight pointed to the ground with my hand cupped over it. i also try as much as possible to walk like a deer ha ha. take a few steps and stop. but as long as your not shining a bright 200lumen light all over whatever deer you kick up should come back around after things settle.
Ive walked in with the red light and scared them out making noise moving around getting settled LOL!
Old 08-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If possible little light , maybe a flash every 75 yds of so.

Full moon ish I'm going lightless.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:11 AM
Fork Horn

If you are hunting a stand and woods you know like the your yard or in open terrain maybe blackout is ok but if not I suggest using a light. Like said, noise burns you long before light. Barring the use of a "search" light the sound of stumbling along, breaking sticks etc... travels far beyond that of the light. The low Lumens Red and Green options don't penetrate the forest farther than your scent and helps with remaining the quiet. Add the increased chance of not taking the most direct route to your stand, getting jammed up in thickets and causing sweat utilizing a light may be a better choice...
Old 08-18-2013, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

It all depends on your situation. I strictly bowhunt and I hunt on private land. I walk about a mile and 1/2 back to my part of the lease. I know the place like the back of my hand and I never use a light. I can sneak in extremely quite using only the moon and stars. I know lots of people will say that light does not affect deer and I think that is sorta correct. It does not bother does or young bucks much but mature bucks are a different animal entirely. If want to kill an old mature buck on a consistent basis you have to learn to do things a little different. Long walks in the dark is a step in the right direction if the situation allows it.

-john
Old 08-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ALAWYS a flashlight or bright LED!!

You don't want anyone to mistake you for something other than a human being!

Light IN and light OUT!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by uncle matt
ALAWYS a flashlight or bright LED!!

You don't want anyone to mistake you for something other than a human being!

Light IN and light OUT!
Your Avatar speaks for itself !!! LOL
Old 08-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

This Turkey season I got to my spot before day light with my green lamp on all the way. I could see Deer on the way their eyes lit up green reflecting the light. There were at least 6 and I thought for sure they all would start blowing like crazy. Strange thing was not one of them blew at all,some just stood there watching me go buy. I had never had that happen before they always blew or ran like crazy in the past. All that being said I use a green led if needed pointed down as much as possible directly in front of me and I likewise like to get to the stand at least 45 minutes before dark if it's not to cold out. Some woods are open enough to where light is not needed all the way and most places where I hunt the traails are easy to see with little or no light in the winter. Be safe and do what makes you feel safer depending on where you hunt.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

this might sound stupid but practice walking your land in the dark. either morning or night. obviosly try it well before hunting season begins. a good hunter will know his land like the back of his hand. the less light and noise the better. everything extra you do will pay off in the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.