Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Slug help

Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Spike

Default Slug help

I just got a slug barrel for my mossberg 500 12 gauge. Seeing as it is rifled do I need to use sabot slugs or could I use a rifled slug in it.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can use a rifled slug... but rifled barrels are intended for sabots.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Spike

Will it hurt the barrel?
Old 08-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Using a rifled slug in a rifled barrel will do no harm, but I would have to ask why even consider it? I have shot both the smooth bore/rifled slug combo and the rifle barrel/sabot setup. Many times at the range and a few times hunting. The rifled barrel/sabot setup is leaps and bounds of an improvement over a rifled slug/smooth bore. There are numerous articles out there that cover the subject. Some are sort of like this response .... no "real proof". Some are so scientific that they are almost boring. But bottom line is that the smooth bore/rifled slug simply is not as accurate as the sabot/rifled barrel set-up .... and the effective range is much, much less.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

What mojotex said... use a sabot, your accuracy will be better. It won't hurt your gun to throw a rifled slug in, but it won't help your shot either.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Spike

Thank you all for the advice. I am very new to hunting and the extra additions that create the best combo to use. So again thank you for the advice!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

I have found very little difference in the accuracy when comparing the RIFLED slug & the SABOT slug, (I'm talking Rifled Slug) the big difference I find is the Rifled slug requires a more vigorous cleaning, as it can leave a lead built up in the barrel, with the cost of Sabots I think trying Rifled slugs might not be a bad idea. jmop Doc
Old 08-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot only 3 "slug guns", which is certainly cannot be considered extense by any stretch. I did some poking around in my records and found the results of when I shot a Remington 870, 12 ga. , 3" chamber with a 4X Leupold scope. (No record of the model). The owner had bought an after market rifled barrel made by Hastings. He had been using a smooth bore Imp. cylinder and rifled slug ammo. Here is a brief of the results.

Smooth bore .... Remington 3" rifled slug ammo. 3 shot Group 1 - 6.75 MOA, 3 shot Group 2 - 6.50 MOA. Elevation at 50 yards +0", 75 yards -2", 100 yards -6".

Rifled barrel .... Remington Sabot ammo. 5 shot Group 2.5 MOA. Elevation 50 yard + 1.5", 100 yards -0", 150 yards -2.75", 200 yards -4.5".
Old 08-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

By a box (5 rounds) of several different types of sabot slugs...

Boresight the gun to get it on paper... Set up your paper target (with an aiming point for each type of slug) at a distance of 25-50 yards...

Shoot at least a 3 shot group with each type of slug (do NOT change the scope settings / rifle sights...you are not sighting in here)...look for the size of the groups...this is to figure out which slugs your gun/barrel likes best...

When you figure out which slug that your gun/barrel likes, buy several boxes...try to sight in using the 2 shot method at 25 yards, then adjust your zero to whatever range you determine to be best for your hunting...

If you are using a scope, make sure you have high quality (steel) bases and rings because of the recoil...
Old 08-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mojotex
I have shot only 3 "slug guns", which is certainly cannot be considered extense by any stretch. I did some poking around in my records and found the results of when I shot a Remington 870, 12 ga. , 3" chamber with a 4X Leupold scope. (No record of the model). The owner had bought an after market rifled barrel made by Hastings. He had been using a smooth bore Imp. cylinder and rifled slug ammo. Here is a brief of the results.

Smooth bore .... Remington 3" rifled slug ammo. 3 shot Group 1 - 6.75 MOA, 3 shot Group 2 - 6.50 MOA. Elevation at 50 yards +0", 75 yards -2", 100 yards -6".

Rifled barrel .... Remington Sabot ammo. 5 shot Group 2.5 MOA. Elevation 50 yard + 1.5", 100 yards -0", 150 yards -2.75", 200 yards -4.5".
I totally agree! I am talking about shooting Rifled slugs & Sabot slugs out of a Rifled barrel. IMOP a smooth bore slug gun is next to worthless, (about like throwing a rock) now this is just my opinion, I know there are those that think highly of them (I am not one of them), I will be going to the range in a few days & will be shooting some slugs, although I normally only use sabot slugs, I will include some rifled slugs, & post some pictures. I have shot a few rifled slugs (non -sabot) out of my H&R USH, & Mossberg 695, & have been pretty happy with the results, the problem (as I see it) is the fouling of the barrel, which really isn't a big thing, imop sabot slugs are just getting to expensive to toss down range. again jmop Doc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.