Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Big Buck in City Limits

Old 07-26-2013, 06:52 AM
Spike

Default Big Buck in City Limits

Ok so here is the deal.

I went to visit my cousin who lives within the city limits to see his new baby and we started chatting about deer hunting (surprise, surprise I know). I had noticed that the back of his house is an open field to a sanctuary for a prairie beetle and is located close to where I see a lot of does almost every time I drive by. I always thought that there had to be a buck or two in that area because there wouldn’t just be 6 or 7 does hanging out and with younger fawns as well without a buck.

So my cousin starts telling me that before the November 2011 firearm season he saw the largest buck he had ever seen about 300 yards behind his house. This area is surrounded by a lake on the south with many houses, and an interstate to the north and to the west while the city is to the east. Needless to say, there is no way that the buck has left that area and is either dead in the woods, or alive still hanging low in that area.

I really have the desire to walk that whole property to see if I can find any sheds or even skull of this beast and can’t really seem to concentrate on much else right now. Ha

If anyone has any tips on what to look for and where I would be very thankful. I plan on keeping this updated with posts and hopefully pictures of finds that I have if there are any.

Wish me luck!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:36 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

If you live nearby, see if the land near him by the lake is set aside for city archery hunting. You might be surprised at the areas designated as such.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MZS
If you live nearby, see if the land near him by the lake is set aside for city archery hunting. You might be surprised at the areas designated as such.

Yep, the heck with hunting for his sheds! Go hunt him up in another month or two!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MZS
Yep. Go to your GFP website and check it out.

We actually have a drawing for city limits archery hunts... there are several areas designated and it's pretty much first-come first-serve.

Good luck
Old 07-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Spike

Walked through today to check it out and jumped a doe. Didn't find any sheds, but found about 4 tents where the homeless have been living. Kinda annoying but oh well. Didn't really look over the entire area, but not sure what the Game and Parks would say about a hunt there. Will keep you all updated
Old 07-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

We have city hunting where I'm at but its a PIA to get a permit and the requirements are ridiculous. Not to mention the best area of hunting isnt within the specified area.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Of course deer llove city limits

Seen coyotes in the same neighborhood.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

Why couldn't he have crossed the interstate? I see deer it on the interstate all the time (even in stretches with fences to keep them out). Surely some make it across successfully.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Spike

Yea I do guess it could have crossed the interstate, but I am just hoping it didnt...NebBuckHunter you are probably familiar with this area. It is capital beach just off of Sun Valley Blvd.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Spike

how this for a city limit buck in eastern coastal nc
Attached Thumbnails Big Buck in City Limits-trailcam2-071.jpg