HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What would you do, Mr. Deer Hunter? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/383318-what-would-you-do-mr-deer-hunter.html)

Canadian Newsgather 07-25-2013 03:27 AM

What would you do, Mr. Deer Hunter?

The times they are a changin' - Bob Dylan

Topgun 3006 07-25-2013 04:20 AM

NO, absolutely not!!!

Psylocide 07-25-2013 04:57 AM

Your question is very interesting in the way that it's worded... I don't think you can see what you've done by using the current structure.

The hunter can't take the shot, because the shot was taken by another. Given the fact that it is the same buck and the chance for the shot is now gone, one cannot say whether they would take the shot or not, because it no longer exists. "Given the same conditions" in this sense would mean that the hunter in question already saw the 8x10 of the same dead buck.

But, if you're asking if I would take an illegal shot before shooting hours, then the answer is no. Doesn't matter what size animal it is... if I really wanted that buck badly, I would have watched it's movements very closely, climbed down from the stand quietly and attempted to stalk. Depending on my location, wind direction, etc. etc.

Topgun 3006 07-25-2013 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Psylocide (Post 4068878)
Your question is very interesting in the way that it's worded... I don't think you can see what you've done by using the current structure.

The hunter can't take the shot, because the shot was taken by another. Given the fact that it is the same buck and the chance for the shot is now gone, one cannot say whether they would take the shot or not, because it no longer exists. "Given the same conditions" in this sense would mean that the hunter in question already saw the 8x10 of the same dead buck.

But, if you're asking if I would take an illegal shot before shooting hours, then the answer is no. Doesn't matter what size animal it is... if I really wanted that buck badly, I would have watched it's movements very closely, climbed down from the stand quietly and attempted to stalk. Depending on my location, wind direction, etc. etc.

***You better reread what he wrote and what you wrote in response to the OP in your first two paragraphs because IMHO you don't make sense. The guy let the buck walk because he saw it before legal shooting hours and then a couple days later someone else shot it. The question was whether you would have shot it if you were in his shoes and if he had then the other guy wouldn't have had the chance that actually did shoot it legally.

Psylocide 07-25-2013 05:35 AM

It's still almost a full half hour before legal shooting light, which is a full half hour before sunrise. He makes his decision and lowers the gun, watching the dominant buck walk out of his life. Two days later a hunter in the area kills that same buck a little over a mile away. It scored 176 B&C points and field dressed 240 pounds.

The picture of the successful hunter posing with his deer is widely distributed and our swamp hunter sees the 8x10 enlargement. He knows for sure it's the same deer.

Given the same conditions, what would you do?

Would you shoot? Yes or no?
The emphasis here is on "given the same conditions."

The conditions of the "short story" is that the original hunter made the decision not to shoot, then a completely different hunter did shoot (in the future) and showed proof of it being the same buck that "hunter 1" passed on.

The buck has already been killed in the story. So, in the way it's structured above, the OP is asking if you would take a shot at the buck "given the same conditions" after hunter 1 had already seen that hunter 2 had taken the deer.

It's just an anachronism that I felt like pointing out, obviously the OP was trying to insert some creative flare into their question and probably fancies himself/herself as a writer. It could have easily been a thread that just started with, "Hey, would you shoot a monster buck a half hour before legal shooting hours?"

But they didn't... the correct way to ask the final question would have been: Given the same conditions, would you have taken the shot that the first hunter passed on?

daddus1 07-25-2013 06:14 AM

CN,
What is your real reason for being on here? Really?
Are you an "anti" waiting for the wrong answer?
Your posts don't seem like their from an outdoorsman?
Please let us know why you are on here?
If I am mistaken I apoligize.
daddus

YotaMan88 07-25-2013 06:48 AM

Given the same conditions. I would cry

Topgun 3006 07-25-2013 07:24 AM

It's just an anachronism that I felt like pointing out, obviously the OP was trying to insert some creative flare into their question and probably fancies himself/herself as a writer. It could have easily been a thread that just started with, "Hey, would you shoot a monster buck a half hour before legal shooting hours?"

But they didn't... the correct way to ask the final question would have been: Given the same conditions, would you have taken the shot that the first hunter passed on?

***And obviously you're more than a little anal for pointing out such, LOL!!!

Psylocide 07-25-2013 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4068923)

***And obviously you're more than a little anal for pointing out such!!!

That's a fair assumption, but it really only comes out when it pertains specifically to writing.

Furthermore, I tend to harbor the same skepticism as daddus up there... not sure what CN is getting at, but the OPs other posts tend to be just as puzzling as this one.

Topgun 3006 07-25-2013 07:59 AM

"That's a fair assumption, but it really only comes out when it pertains specifically to writing.

Furthermore, I tend to harbor the same skepticism as daddus up there... not sure what CN is getting at, but the OPs other posts tend to be just as puzzling as this one."

***Fair enough!!! Yep, I went in and read the other posts that the OP has written and I'd have to agree with the two of you!!! In fact, just the title of the thread alone sounds like a put down for hunters!