Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What would you do, Mr. Deer Hunter? >

What would you do, Mr. Deer Hunter?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do, Mr. Deer Hunter?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Spike

Topgun, Im not on here to get into an argument with fellow hunters. If anyone wants to have an honest discussion about this without the insults, im all in tho. My point was that we shouldnt be getting on each others cases. Obviously some idiot wanted to rile us up and divide us and he or she did. We should be teaming up against the PETA member starting the thread, not btching at each other.

Big difference between being a violator/poacher and shooting a deer a few minutes before or after what the rule book says. I am NOT advocating unethical practices. I have never poached an animal and never will. My point was not that I am in favor of making the kill in this situation. My point was that there is a gray area here. I don't check my watch when I'm in my stand to make sure I'm not a couple of minutes before or after shooting time if I'm going to make a kill. If its safe and I have a clear shot, I believe it's ethical. I'm not talking about purposely shooting at night or shooting under a light. Completely different story there. If a person bases what is ethical entirely by what is legal, I just he is pretty easily mislead. By that logic abortion is ethical because its legal in many states. Have you ever driven 26 in a 25 mph zone? I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I think based on your responses these are fair points to consider. It just sounds like a lot of holier than thou talk.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Let's face it, firing your gun 30 minutes before legal shooting on public land would be just asking for a warden to bust you, take away your gear, license, and slap you with a big fine. When I gun hunt, I watch that clock pretty close before even thinking of shooting. In my mind this is not about me being ethical or not ethical.

Don't let the original poster stir us all up with this kind of junk. He/she is nowhere to be found in discussions on this forum until the next screwy post to be made. If we just ignore the posts, they will quickly get buried and this person will tire of making the effort.

Last edited by MZS; 07-29-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

North22 stated: "Big difference between being a violator/poacher and shooting a deer a few minutes before or after what the rule book says." Sorry North22, but when a person comes on here and says he would violate the law like the previous poster did and now you are saying the same thing I WILL say exactly to you what I said to him! Anyone that does that is a violator/poacher because it's against the law just like it is to shoot a deer in a spotlight! Anywhere you hunt has legal time limits that you should be following and just as MZS stated, I also have a watch and know what times every day I can legally shoot whether it's for a longhbeard in the Spring or a buck in the Fall. ANYONE who comes on this Forum and says they don't follow that rule is a plain out VIOLATOR and they would not be welcome in my camp! There are obviously many that violate what we're talking about because I hear shots all the time during deer season up here well before and well after legal time. If people do that, then just maybe the next thing they choose to do will be spotlighting that nice buck that I'm waiting to make a mistake during legal hours and that sucks! Call it lack of ethics, integrity, or whatever you want, but if you shoot outside the legal established hours you are wrong and anyone saying they would on an open website is not too smart!!! My LE career may be showing here, but gosh darn it, the laws aren't made to choose whether we will or won't follow certain ones because we don't like them or think they're wrong! As long as they are on the books they should be followed, as they are there for a reason whether you like it or not.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-28-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Spike

Topgun, I fully respect where you're coming from. More people should be as observant of the regulations as you are. As I've said, I'm just trying to be honest with my assessment of this situation. If I'm being bluntly honest, I have shot a couple minutes (no more than that) after legal time. I do not consider myself a violator or poacher for this. I honestly would like your response regarding doing 26 in a 25 tho.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are really stretching it when you're talking about 1 MPH over the limit when a speedometer may not even be accurate to within 1 MPH. Yes, I've probably unknowingly gone 1 or 2 MPH over the limit throughout my 50+ years of driving, but I can also say that I've never had an accident that was my fault (been rearended a couple times) and I haven't had a speeding ticket since I was in my early 20s and I'll be 66 in a couple weeks. Not too many have that kind of record and I drove a state vehicle for over 30 years averaging over 2500 miles a month on that job as a part of that record. The reason I say you're stretching it trying to ask that compared to what we're talking about is that you are knowingly shooting outside legal hunting hours and I am not knowingly violating the speed limits. There is a big difference between the two!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-28-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You are really stretching it when you're talking about 1 MPH over the limit when a speedometer may not even be accurate to within 1 MPH. Yes, I've probably unknowingly gone 1 or 2 MPH over the limit throughout my 50+ years of driving, but I can also say that I've never had an accident that was my fault (been rearended a couple times) and I haven't had a speeding ticket since I was in my early 20s and I'll be 66 in a couple weeks. Not too many have that kind of record and I drove a state vehicle for over 30 years averaging over 2500 miles a month on that job as a part of that record. The reason I say you're stretching it trying to ask that compared to what we're talking about is that you are knowingly shooting outside legal hunting hours and I am not knowingly violating the speed limits. There is a big difference between the two!
This response is very hypocritical!
Old 07-31-2013, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do we know our watches are calibrated correctly? That 1mph on the speedometer may be closer to accurate than that 1minute on my watch. I'll bet there's at least a 10 minute discrepancy between the fastest hunter's watch in the woods and the slowest. So, a couple minutes may be margin of error.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
How do we know our watches are calibrated correctly? That 1mph on the speedometer may be closer to accurate than that 1minute on my watch. I'll bet there's at least a 10 minute discrepancy between the fastest hunter's watch in the woods and the slowest. So, a couple minutes may be margin of error.

***You don't "calibrate" a watch, you set it. Give me a break, as 10 minutes is absolute baloney and just another excuse for violating the starting/ending time! You should be able to keep a watch within one minute of actual time, but to say you're off much more than that is more than a stretch!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-31-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by YotaMan88
Given the same conditions. I would cry
Yup and such is hunting...If you are just trophy hunting then go to a ranch...I hunt for food first but if a trophy comes by during legal shooting light...Im going to take it.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

That CN guy has been sent on vacation. As for the rest of the bickering between us....please stop. It isn't fun for anyone here and drives people to other forums.

Refrain from personal attacks. Refrain from even the hint of poaching deer. If you are dumb enough to do it, don't be dumb enough to admit to it here. If you are having problems with certain posters be the bigger person and not fan the flames. Send me a PM and I will deal with it.

Now let's get back to enjoying everything hunting. My elk hunt starts in 19 days!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.