Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rut in Kentucky

Old 07-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rut in Kentucky

I was wondering if any of you from Kentucky or that have hunted Kentucky could tell me when the peak rut usually is there. We are trying to make our plans to hunt there this fall and would like to time it out around the best rut activity if possible.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:39 AM
Spike

Mid to late first week ok November to about the 25th or so. Hunted down there with my uncle a few times and that is when he told me most activity for bucks chasing does is. Also depends on the weather patterns though. I assume that if it gets colder faster this year, that could end up being earlier such as late October
Old 07-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Spike

it all depends on the wheather rifle season is usally good plus its long it comes in mid november
Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

i was there last year nov 13th-18th. we saw a pile of bucks the first 2 days then it slowed down. the guys in camp killed several a few days before we got there......tony
Old 07-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

My experience with the rut in Kentucky is strange...the best time to hunt if you are wanting to experience a lot of bucks chasing does around and acting brainless is from Halloween through the second weekend of November (that is the opening weekend of rifle season and not many brainless bucks with antlers survive it)...this is especially true if it is cold (temps from 25-40)...bucks will respond to calls (grunting and antlers) as well as estrus scents...

Thereafter, a lot of really big bucks breed the does (still nocturnal mainly)...though you have a decent chance of seeing nice racks if you can hold off from killing the 120-class 8 points you would still see in a really good area...the action is usually much slower though...

Any of the Wildlife Management Areas that restricts gun hunting and has Archery only during this time is a "mecca" for deer hunters willing to put the rifles away...on one public access WMA, I have seen OR shot at least one 150+ buck a year (late October - first weekend November) for the past five years...

Fort Knox also has many 150+ class bucks that are harvested (and do not count against the KY harvest limit)...
Old 07-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Teach Deer
My experience with the rut in Kentucky is strange...the best time to hunt if you are wanting to experience a lot of bucks chasing does around and acting brainless is from Halloween through the second weekend of November (that is the opening weekend of rifle season and not many brainless bucks with antlers survive it)...this is especially true if it is cold (temps from 25-40)...bucks will respond to calls (grunting and antlers) as well as estrus scents...

Thereafter, a lot of really big bucks breed the does (still nocturnal mainly)...though you have a decent chance of seeing nice racks if you can hold off from killing the 120-class 8 points you would still see in a really good area...the action is usually much slower though...

Any of the Wildlife Management Areas that restricts gun hunting and has Archery only during this time is a "mecca" for deer hunters willing to put the rifles away...on one public access WMA, I have seen OR shot at least one 150+ buck a year (late October - first weekend November) for the past five years...

Fort Knox also has many 150+ class bucks that are harvested (and do not count against the KY harvest limit)...
Sounds like we will be hitting it about right. We are planning on hunting there November 9th thru 12th. Are you familiar with Cadiz Kentucky and the area near Lake Barkley State Park as this is the area we plan on hunting.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by browtine7
Sounds like we will be hitting it about right. We are planning on hunting there November 9th thru 12th. Are you familiar with Cadiz Kentucky and the area near Lake Barkley State Park as this is the area we plan on hunting.
Are you hunting Land Between the Lakes or private land? I live in Western KY.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Maddog10
Are you hunting Land Between the Lakes or private land? I live in Western KY.
Private Land
Old 08-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by browtine7
Private Land
Okay, I'm not as familiar with the private land east of the lakes as I am with LBL. I live farther west than the lakes and do all my private land hunting on that side... You're timing should be be pretty good though. Personally, I prefer the weeks leading up to the gun season opener, but you are at least getting opening weekend. After that, the big boys will be in full nocturnal mode until December. Should be some good hunting. You will hear plenty of shooting unless you are hunting a HUGE property, I can guarantee that.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Maddog10
Okay, I'm not as familiar with the private land east of the lakes as I am with LBL. I live farther west than the lakes and do all my private land hunting on that side... You're timing should be be pretty good though. Personally, I prefer the weeks leading up to the gun season opener, but you are at least getting opening weekend. After that, the big boys will be in full nocturnal mode until December. Should be some good hunting. You will hear plenty of shooting unless you are hunting a HUGE property, I can guarantee that.
Good deal hanks for the info. I hear there are plenty of deer in this area just need the right one to show up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.