Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Stand recommendations

Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 AM
Spike

Default Deer Stand recommendations

I am looking to pick up couple HANG ON type deer stands for the upcoming season. There are so many choices?
Any recommendations or thoughts on why to choose this one over that one?
Thanks.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Choose the one that is the most comfortable to you, if you can try them out. Nothing will end a hunt faster than a stand that you cannot sit still in.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Millennium is the most comfortable and best choice bar none and I have hunted out of several different ones
Old 07-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I won't hunt on anything less than a 24x30 inch platform but I have pretty big feet. If your an all day sitter, make sure you get something with a comfortable seat. I like D icks sporting goods stands for the price. Plus, they have really good sales and you can get them for a good price. I have hung roughly 20 stands in the past three years so I have to make sure they are a decent price and comfortable. If you are just looking at one or two stands, spend the extra $$ and get something a little more comfortable. In the long run the money will be well worth it.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had 1 hang-on stand and used it very little,it had a very small seat and medium size platform...I sold it and bought the nicer/bigger Big Dog hang-on stand with the arm rest,padded seat and bigger platform it's much more comfortable for longer sits!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Lone Wolf stands are pretty nice. I personally got tired of moving stands all the time so I just stick with my Summit Climber.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

gorilla for the money is pretty comfortable, big platform and arm rests.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

I've been a ladder-stand guy for a while now, but decided to place a couple hang-ons this year. Bought a Big Game xl and a Rivers Edge xl. They look like just about the same stand to me. Sometimes I think most stands come out of the same factory in China and they just put different labels on them.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
I've been a ladder-stand guy for a while now, but decided to place a couple hang-ons this year. Bought a Big Game xl and a Rivers Edge xl. They look like just about the same stand to me. Sometimes I think most stands come out of the same factory in China and they just put different labels on them.
I 100% agree with you on that. I've bought more than a couple with the 24x30 inch platform and other than the color and the seat cushion that comes with it they are about the same. The higher quality ones not so much, but the ones you see at D icks, Sportsmans guide and a few at the big box stores I believe are all the same.

I used to be a big ladder stand guy but the foot platforms are just too small for my buddy and mine size 14 and 15 boots. We starting going with those hang ons and ladder sticks. On a decent straight tree we can get everything up and ready to go in about 30 mins. I think after our last trip we are finally close the where we want to be o stand numbers. Were up to 22 and have three more to put up to make an even 25. Every wind will now be covered.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

There are so many stands to choose from out there, and they are mostly getting better each year.

Rivers Edge has the largest platform that I know of, and I prefer a large platform. They have a thick foam seat, that is comfortable enough to sit on, but the seat can be noisy.

The millenium seat is probably the best and most comfortable seat out there, but their downfall would be that their platform is too small. When you stand to shoot, and the seat is lifted out of the way, be careful as the platform tapers down to a very narrow width.

The newer Gorilla stands are very comfortable with their adjustable float style strap with seat attached, and armrest. The platform is large enough.

One of the best out there as far as comfort, is the Ol'Man. Their mesh style seat is a comfort to sit in all day. The platform is large, but does taper more than some, but not like the Millenium. It also has the footrest (many brands offer this option now), and removable armrest. They also chain to the tree, which is much safer IMO.

If you're looking for a ladder, you can't beat the comfort of an Ol'Man ladder. The same mesh seat, w/removable foot, arm, and shooting rest. 20 ft height gets you up there.

There are many good climbing stands out there, and have gotten better, and lighter with each year.

Climbing sticks,, there are many versions to choose from. Always go with a stick with an opposing step. Should you need to stop and stand on the stick, it gives you equal footing to stand on. Another thing to look for is a stick that has non-skid paint applied, or a strip that sticks to the step. Muddy or wet boots on a step need all the traction advantage you can get.

Hope this gives you some ideas to work on. Any questions, feel free to ask me. I have hung literally thousands of stands over the years.

On another note::: Screw-in steps are very dangerous. They are like placing fish hooks in the tree as obstacles. In the event, (Lord forbid it doesn't happen) you should slip and fall, (always wear a climbing harness) these steps can rip you open and cause you to bleed to death before you can get to help. Or leave you disabled and scarred for life. I have seen this first hand. Do not use screw-in steps to climb a tree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.