Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Kentucky Whitetail Hunting

Old 07-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default Kentucky Whitetail Hunting

Has anyone hunted the area around Lake Barkly State Park in Western Kentucky. If so whats your thoughts on this area. Me and a couple buddies are looking at hunting this area this fall around opening weekend of fire arm season (November 8th). I have heard that's around the peak rut for this area. Any insite will be greatly welcomed.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never hunted the Blue Grass State. Good Luck!
Heard Kentucky has decent deer hunting.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:34 AM
Fork Horn

I turkey hunt in Kentucky mainly eastern and east central. Lots of deer and turkey on Kentucky public lands.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by browtine7
Has anyone hunted the area around Lake Barkly State Park in Western Kentucky. If so whats your thoughts on this area. Me and a couple buddies are looking at hunting this area this fall around opening weekend of fire arm season (November 8th). I have heard that's around the peak rut for this area. Any insite will be greatly welcomed.
Be sure and check for any antler regulations. Wouldn't want visitors to get into trouble.
Here is the KY Fish and Wildlife website.
http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/
Good luck.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BlueGrass Man
Be sure and check for any antler regulations. Wouldn't want visitors to get into trouble.
Here is the KY Fish and Wildlife website.
http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/
Good luck.
We will only be shooting deer in the upper 130s or bigger range so this want be a issue. Thanks for the info
Old 07-17-2013, 02:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by browtine7
We will only be shooting deer in the upper 130s or bigger range so this want be a issue. Thanks for the info
fairly optimistic.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bghunter777
fairly optimistic.
Well we have been lucky enough to take several good bucks over the last several years so we just want shoot anything under 130s. Its not just about the kill but about the experience and enjoying the great outdoors that we have been blessed with. With that said there was a time that if it was legal it was down in my earlier hunting years and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Its just that I m now older and just don't enjoy dragging them out of the woods quite as much. Now I still take 2 or 3 doe's a year with my bow for the freezer but I like to just watch the young bucks grow up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

That region (see also Land Between the Lakes [which has a separate private hunt] and Fort Campbell military base [also a separate hunt]) has a very high potential for P&Y+ size bucks...

This is the area that Knight and Hale (Ultimate Hunting) uses as a home-base...

Many of the Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) in this region have 15"-spread limits on antlered deer (info available in the hunting guide...Google KY Fish Wildlife)...

I have had mixed results in western KY (mainly on the very large Peabody WMA) so I tend to stick to my home areas of central KY and south-eastern KY...