Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Cane Black Magic

Old 07-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Spike

Default Deer Cane Black Magic

Ive heard numerous stories, from people who swear by it to those who think its not worth the 8 dollars. Anyone out there with reviews or any info on mineral blocks and spreads, deer cane is what im wondering about in particular but open to any greater knowledge.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

I had mixed results. I put one on a stump next to my sand and it didnt get any hits all season long. In fact the rain had washed it away by the end of the season.

Came back the next season and the deer had dug the stump out of the ground getting to the dissolved sugar. I've had better luck with the BB2 Attractant.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

I have had pretty good results with Black Magic down here. They seem to hit it pretty well. I quit using it when it went up to 8 bucks a bag and I started mixing my own mineral from stuff you can get at any feed store.
Black Magic is rele nothin but salt with some sweet smell added to attract them for a longer distance.
I mix trace mineral salt and dicalcium phosphate together and add some powdered grape Kool-aid to just add that smell good factor. I have great results with this mix
Old 07-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Ive had great results. Once they find your site, they keep coming back. I have one place we threw it down and they have dug a 5 foot wide hole around the place. Allwe do now is throw a new bag down each year.

We have also found that the deer love cattle cake, especially the fawns. We put some down last year around these sites due to the drought and lack of food. They just ate the stuff up.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Spike

Appreciate the input, ill be sure to relay any results i recieve
Old 07-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Spike

It's a good attractant. Pretty lousy if you're trying to give your deer some added nutrition. Just depends what your goals are.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 07-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Olssodm14, sinse you are from Wisconsin, here is where it works. It works very well up in the big woods where there is a shortage of salt and minerals. We use it in Price co. and works like crazy. Down here south of Fond Du Lac it seems to attract a few rabbits and that is it. The deer don't even bother . Many others I know experience the same thing.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ihookem1
Olssodm14, sinse you are from Wisconsin, here is where it works. It works very well up in the big woods where there is a shortage of salt and minerals. We use it in Price co. and works like crazy. Down here south of Fond Du Lac it seems to attract a few rabbits and that is it. The deer don't even bother . Many others I know experience the same thing.
So being that i hunt an area with more corn and soy beans than actually wooded land im likely to see less than outstanding results? i could see why, ill just have to do a field test and see how it turns out, thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Spike

40# Brown cattle mineral block at Tractor Supply. $9.00 Has all the trace minerals in it. Deer love it. Dig a shallow hole Pour some molasses on it. Done. The Black Magic draws them in with an amazing aroma and I have pictures of subordinate deer licking the dirt while the more dominant deer are taking a turn on the rock.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default If everyone is using an attractant...

Who is attracting the deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.