Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Distance between Treestands

Old 07-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Distance between Treestands

I have a piece of property (826 acres) I hunt and it has hay fields woods and ravines on it. On one side of property I have a tree stand about 400 yards back in woods which I can hunt with a n or w wind on a ridge and one about 60 yards in woods away from hayfield that is good for a s or e wind. I have found a great spot about 1 mile away from either stand along a stream that would make a great third stand. My question is, is having that many stands on one property a waste?
Thank You
Old 07-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

You could have a dozen stands on that acreage and it wouldn't be too many with all the variables involved in hunting good whitetail bucks. I've got seven treestands and this ground blind when the weather really gets nasty on less than 100 acres in northern MI.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

No that isn't too many stands. I would have a few more...
Old 07-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Spike

Not too many stands at all. I have 4 on a 10 acre parcel.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by badlandsgunner
Not too many stands at all.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:38 AM
Fork Horn

I would probably aim towards having at least a
Dozen stands on that property, saving the best ones
For the best days. My goal is generally not to hunt
Any one stand more than 2-3 times per season.
Deer pattern us pretty quickly no matter how hard
We try to descent. I always feel like my best chance
For a good buck comes the with the first time in
A new stand. Thoughts from a fellow Mainer.
Good luck this fall!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you w123t good point. Thank you all who responded.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others .... 825 +/- acres, depending upon the layout of the woods lines, creeks, ridges, fields, hollows , etc. could easily hande numerous stands.

You might want to look into setting a couple of hang-on stands or using a climber until you get a good feel for the travel patterns of the deer on that property. In general these are easier to move than a ladder. As you probably know, each of these style of stands has their own advantages and disadvantages. The hang-on can be set in trees that are not condusive to either a ladder or climber (leaning, large limbs, etc.). A climber will give you a relative low cost opportunity to relocate counless times, and is my personal preference. The disadvantage can be the noise factor getting set up for the day's hunt.

For sure a 3 rd. stand of any kind located a mile away form the other 2 is OK. You already have addressed one piece of advice I was going to give ... if you decide to set up several ladders, be sure to set them for various wind and approach directions. Getting in and out leaving as small a scent footprint as practical is a big deal in my book.

And for sure I'd be looking at where the oak trees are ... if any. Down this way, near an early season acorn crop is a great place to set up.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

it all depends on the lay out like the 200 acres I hunt on now we are able to hunt 8 stands at once and never spooking deer but its full of bottoms and small fields oak flats but one of the last places I have hunted in other parts of TX, 6 stands on 600 acres felt cramped sometimes if u can fit them and bounce around playing the wind or deer movement go for it
Old 07-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

I move around so much I got tired of buying stands, and picked up a climber. I have 1380 acres which is mostly corn and beans, but I have 3 stand locations within one 80 acre block, 3 locations within another 60 acres block and 2 stands in a 50 acres block.

No matter where the wind goes, Ive got a stand. Granted some I prefer over others because of the length of travel to get to them. My shortest walk is around 200 yards, and my longest is almost a mile; and of course the miles hike is typically the best stand to be in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.