Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Distance between Treestands

Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by w123t
I would probably aim towards having at least a
Dozen stands on that property, saving the best ones
For the best days. My goal is generally not to hunt
Any one stand more than 2-3 times per season.
Deer pattern us pretty quickly no matter how hard
We try to descent. I always feel like my best chance
For a good buck comes the with the first time in
A new stand. Thoughts from a fellow Mainer.
Good luck this fall!
Very well said. I've been hunting a piece of land for three years now that is 220 acres. After a scouting trip this spring we are up to 22 stands. I'm a firm believer that you should always hunt a stand that has a perfect wind, not bad or even iffy. Plus as w123 said, you don't want to over hunt a stand. Walking in and out leaves scent as well as sitting in a stand. Too much in one stand and the deer will start to avoid it. Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I avoid the cost and use of extra stands...

by using one climbing stand, hauling it in or out, and avoiding other hunters in their stands.
And I never leave the stand behind for other hunters to use.

Besides, it only has a weight limit of 250 lbs. so some hunters might kill themselves using it.

Last edited by Valentine; 07-12-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Spike

Safety is also a very important factor in number of tree stands. Input into safe distance apart for rifle hunting would be appreciated. Considering that shooting from tree stand is at a downward angle, how many yards apart would be a safe distance between stands?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Definitely not a waste I used to hunt 40 acre spot with 7 different stands two stands are 90 yards apart and you can sit in one and not see deer at the other
Old 07-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

No, I own 135 acres and have 16 ladder stands up for different winds and just so we have plenty of options as to not burn out a stand/location .On 800++ acres I think you are limiting yourself big time by not having other stand sets.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Spike

We have 27 stands on 990 acres in South Georgia and also use climbers....and still have room for more