HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How many honestly where a harness when in your tree stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/382581-how-many-honestly-where-harness-when-your-tree-stand.html)

OhioNovice 06-30-2013 01:13 PM

How many honestly where a harness when in your tree stand?

Ill be honest; 90% of the time I don't where my harness. My ladder stand is so huge and has a shooting rail so I feel plenty safe without one. I occasionally use one in my climber but most of the time I don't.

Last year I missed a nice 8pt because he snuck up behind me and I couldn't draw my bow because the strap going to the tree was in my way. That didn't help my dislike of harnesses. I know this is stupid and I don't need any criticism but Im wondering honestly how many people actually use them? No one I know that hunts from a stand where's a harness, except for their children.

I understand that I need to where my harness so I'm in the process of looking for a new set up. (Ill take any recommendations) I think the main reason I don't where mine is because its uncomfortable and it gets in the way. I wear my seat belt in my truck and my helmet on my motorcycle, but not my harness in my stand.

So how many Honestly where their harness while hunting?

Wilcam47 06-30-2013 03:13 PM

Ladder stand...No its got a rail around it...could I fall yes...but highly unlikely...Im not saying I cant...Climber or lock on YES...I have no rails on either of them...so theres nothing to stop me from dropping 20+feet. Its a chance I WONT take. Its bad enough going up and getting in the stand unhooked for me. No Im not scared of heights.

Recommend HSS (hunter safety system), its a little heavy but its comfortable. I don't have any trouble with it being in my way...you just have to tie the strap that goes around the tree a little higher. In fact its comfortable enough for me to go to the seated position in the harness. plus it has pockets and a drag strap. I use the cheap strap harness' as well since they are lighter weight...especially when its warmer out..

Arrowmaster 06-30-2013 03:33 PM

I wear one every time. Ive done fell from 22 feet and the sudden stop didn't feel to well. Broke my back in the process.

Rhody Hunter 06-30-2013 03:35 PM

I always wear mine . Had a couple near falls so now I make sure I am wearing one while in the stand. You never know when it might happen to you.
Your still going to get beat up some wearing one but you shouldn't be permanently hurt or die

Rhody Hunter 06-30-2013 03:43 PM

If the strap gets in your way what I use is a climbing rope with a prussic knot that let's me slide it down to get more room on those opposite side shots.

firelt72 06-30-2013 04:00 PM

I actually am higher than the 75% choice. I did forget once last year. Got in a hurry and spaced it.

153 06-30-2013 04:13 PM

All the time.

I wear mine all the time now. After my son was born I felt I owed he and his mother that. Heard of too many falls resulting in people getting hurt bad, in wheelchairs and such. Yep it is a pain but not as bad as having to roll around in a wheelchair and place a great burden on my family. Done a lot of dumb things in my younger life and fell lucky to be here in one piece. Think of your family and look at other people who can not help themselves after getting hurt. Also were my seatbelt in my car, truck and tractor.
Forgot my HSS vest last year one time, when I got to my tree I just sat on the ground. Does not take but one fall and it will effect your family and you for the rest of your life.

Kybuckhunter 06-30-2013 04:23 PM

Never in my 12 and 15 ft ladder stands. I always set down to shoot and its like setting in my kitchen chair. Always when I use my climber.

Murdy 06-30-2013 06:07 PM

Always. Period. I've never forgot my bow, and I've never forgot my harness. From time to time, during gun season, I've gone to one of my stands that I set up to hunt bow. If I don't have a harness on, I stay on the ground. Usually, if I'm hunting in the morning and going in before dark, I put mine on before I leave home. Picked up an HSS ultra lite a few years ago, and I hardly notice it's there.

nchawkeye 06-30-2013 06:28 PM

Always....Never go up without it, gonna have to show my 2 grandsons how to hunt and fish...

Anyone who doesn't is a fool.....