Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How many honestly where a harness when in your tree stand? >

How many honestly where a harness when in your tree stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: How often do you where a safety harness in your tree stand?
100% Never go hunting without one!
54.88%
75% I normally do... but sometimes I forget.
20.73%
50% Only in my climber.
8.54%
Never! If squirrels don't fall from trees, neither will I.
15.85%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

How many honestly where a harness when in your tree stand?

Old 06-30-2013, 07:01 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Many accidents are on the way up. How many wear a harness as they are climbing up to that 20 foot ladder stand? Or when climbing up with a climber. I was watching some youtube videos on how to use a climber and only one guy used a safety rope as he was climbing.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I HATE treestand harnesses. Noisy, cumbersome, pains in the arse! But I wear mine, every time. Even the times I have decided, "The hell with it, I'm not wearing it this time," I think about my kids and put it on.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

if im sitting in my 15 ft double man ladderstand I never wear my hss, but in my climber I always wear it no matter what.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Well I'm still not going to wear one in my ladder stand, but I'm definitely going to start wearing one in my climber. Are the vest harnesses that much more comfortable than the seat belt material ones?

I currently have the one that came with my Summit climber, definitely room for improvement.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I step in my climber I attach to the tree...It only adds a couple of minutes to the climb and after a few times you learn how and where to put the strap so it is out of the way...
Old 07-02-2013, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default At my age...

I wouldn't touch this topic with a ten foot pole. Some people sure love to get regimented in one place and besides, I'm suppose to be dead for fifty years.
If you question something deeply, you probably need it. And people sometimes question something for some other reason, that has nothing to do with the original reason for using something. And I haven't gotten by that suspension atrophy yet.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:08 AM
Spike

I always wear one with my climber. Most of the time I wear it in my double ladder stand, but the real hazard there is the climb up and down.

The harness that came with my Summit sucked big time so I scoured the net and found 20feetup. It's not a full body harness, but is like the climbing and rescue harnesses I'm used to and that means I wear it instead of leaving it behind.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

No matter whether I am in my ladder stand or my climber, I NEVER leave the ground withour one!!! Have been on 2 recoverys of a hunter not coming home that night and we found them under the stand with one a broken back and the other dead.
A fellow rescue person I know was on a rescue/recovery and the hunter fell while climbing and disembowled hiself on his screw in steps on the way down. Thats why I use the prussac(sp) knot system on all my ladder and lock-on I own and use. Seeing the end result was enough for me.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every time. I have gotten a few feet up a tree and realize I didn't attach it, which I remedy immediately.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MZS
....Or when climbing up with a climber....
Use a climbing stand only and don't ascend or descend without a harness.There's a reason it's called accident prevention.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.